GPU overheating or PSU failing?

batmounn123

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017
So, here I am again, trying to get help for a problem.
I built this PC, brand new parts and everything about 2 weeks ago.

Parts:
GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
Strix b250f Gaming
Ballistix DDR4 8GB x2
Intel i7-7700k Kaby lake processor
Corsair 650M, 650W

I can play World of Warcraft without a problem on ultra and I've yet to have a crash.
When I boot up Dark Souls 3 or modded Skyrim Special Edition, I am capable of playing for about 5-30 minutes depending on which one I try to play. Here's the problem. It crashes, almost constantly. Especially Dark Souls 3.
These crashes come out of nowhere and when it happens, my monitors go black and the GPU fans go absolutely nuts and freak me out. This requires a hard-reboot and it's very annoying because I'd like to play these games now that I've finally upgraded.
Anyone got a clue what I'm supposed to do?

Solution
Yeah, HEAVEN, VALLEY and especially Superposition push the graphics card for everything they are worth.

The reason why I get people to run them 1st.

So if they can handle that then it's normally down to a software issue with games.

batmounn123

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017

I would've fixed it already if that was the case. I've contacted Bandai Namco about Dark Souls 3 but other than that, I've installed drivers, new and old to see if it fixed it. Changed stuff in nvidia control panel but that didn't do more than being a temporary fix. I find it all strange.
I appreciate the help, and that benchmark was awesome to look at.

Buggy games maybe?

Let HEAVEN run for an hour or so, it will loop forever until you stop it.

batmounn123

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017

I was running Valley, I suppose that's no different from HEAVEN?

Even better, Valley is harder on the system, turn up the graphics settings higher if you want.

You question the PSU, but give us little on it. Yes, it's a Corsair, Yes, modular, Yes, 850W rating... but is it an AX, HX, TX, CS, CX, VS, ? How old is it?

With that said, Valley and Heaven are designed to push your GPU hard. I doubt that it would be a lighter load than the games you're playing.

You said you looked for patches to your games and you've tried the newest, and older GPU drivers. One of the first things I'd try with Skyrim SE, is to disable all mods, and add them back one at a time until your issue reappears. This would suggest a mod conflict for Skyrim. With Dark souls 3, you'll probably have to do the same (if you got mods) or at least dial down the graphics settings.

One other detail missing: is your 1060 the 6GB version or is it the "crippled" 3GB version? (The 3GB version takes the same GPU cuts out a few shaders, pipelines, etc, and also in the process cuts maximum RAM supported to 3GB, then tries to confuse the customer by using the exact same name as the 6GB model, outside of the 3Gb or 6GB designation.)

Yeah, HEAVEN, VALLEY and especially Superposition push the graphics card for everything they are worth.

The reason why I get people to run them 1st.

So if they can handle that then it's normally down to a software issue with games.

Solution

batmounn123

Prominent
Aug 26, 2017

Sorry about the missing 6GB/3GB, I totally forgot about it.
It's a ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB to clarify.
I've tried running Dark Souls 3 on lowest possible settings and no mods but no progress.
Skyrim without mods is playable for about 60-90 minutes and then there's a surprise PC crash.