Friedbiscuit

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
My build
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Idle Temp: 78F
RAM 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Motherboard: ASUSTeK M5A78L-M/USB3 Idle Temp: 110F
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 380 Series Idle Temp: 105F

My PC runs hot, just downloaded Speedfan and changed my fan speeds to 100%. Prior to that I took her apart and dusted. Also put new thermal paste on my CPU since my CPU is normally what over heats on me and I just hadn't gotten around to buying the paste. Seems like the thermal paste/cleaning fixed that problem.

My PC temps running Fallout 4 on ultra CPU: 112F Mobo: 135F GPU: 121F
Doesn't move much more unless I enter big cities but even my FPS gets effected by that.

My PC temps running The Witcher: 3 on high (CPU: 115F Mobo: 140F GPU: 172F
Same as Fallout 4 CPU and Mobo don't do much but my GPU over heats INSTANTLY. Within 3 minutes of having the game open it hits 172F and will slowly rise, after about 30 minutes it will auto shutdown on me.

I've seen many threads about GPUs overheating while running The Witcher 3, don't really know what to do, thought that Speedfan would fix the issue.

Thank you.

Solution
Yes 77c is fine, that card can comfortably run in the mid 80s. Even 86c wont cause it to shutdown, though that is not an ideal temp for prolonged use. Yes 86c is going to be hot to the touch, that's close to the boiling point of water, your skin may not be able to take that heat but the gpu's components can. And please use Celsius I have to convert all of these temps, and this is coming from an American who uses Fahrenheit. Pretty much everybody use's Celsius for computer component temps, I am not sure what is too hot and what isn't in Fahrenheit before I convert it.

Have you ever had a shutdown at idle or close to idle say browsing the internet? What are you using to get those temp readings? What does it do when it shuts down? No...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
All of your temps are fine what makes you think its overheating? 77c under load for a 380 is perfectly fine it wont throttle or cause your system to shut down not sure why its doing that but if those temps are accurate its not because of heat.

Friedbiscuit

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015

It will normally shutdown around 183-187F which is the 30 minute climb from 172 - shutdown. Is 77c really fine? If I touch the GPU (open case) it is on fire I can't touch it more than 3 seconds. It gets this hot in about 3 minutes of having the game open.

What else could the problem be if everything else is running at smooth temp?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yes 77c is fine, that card can comfortably run in the mid 80s. Even 86c wont cause it to shutdown, though that is not an ideal temp for prolonged use. Yes 86c is going to be hot to the touch, that's close to the boiling point of water, your skin may not be able to take that heat but the gpu's components can. And please use Celsius I have to convert all of these temps, and this is coming from an American who uses Fahrenheit. Pretty much everybody use's Celsius for computer component temps, I am not sure what is too hot and what isn't in Fahrenheit before I convert it.

Have you ever had a shutdown at idle or close to idle say browsing the internet? What are you using to get those temp readings? What does it do when it shuts down? No blue screen? Just cut to black then restart? The power supply would be the most likely culprit if its just shutting down out of the blue with no warning. What power supply do you have? Make and model.

Solution

jenojaxx

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
The gpu can handle 90-some degrees before it throttles . When it hits the 90-some... limit , it will decrease the clockspeeds , until the core reaches a safe temp. You really can't kill it .
I say up to 80'C there is absolutely no problems.

(I have a gtx 295 with some problems , and that monster went over 90 degrees on both cores . Some component from the power delivery section hit 124°C before i stopped testing . One friend of mine had a HD4680 and the gpu while gaming was on 92-93°C all day everyday for more than 3 years . In contrast to that my gtx 660 never went over 62°C , and GTX1070 goes up to only 71°C)