GPU overheating problem, fans not spinning

thesantisanhd

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Hey guys,

So my 4-5 years old Gainward GTX 650 Ti Boost has been working perfectly for the past years, but last month when I was playing Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition the problem first occured. After playing for a while the screen suddenly went black, and fans started spinning loudly.

At first I didn't pay much attention to it as I thought it was too much to handle for my 650. Some weeks have passed and I could play League of Legends with my friends for a while, but now after 4-5 minutes of gaming (after any kind of games) the same problem occurs. Even though my screen goes black I can still hear my friends on TeamSpeak and they can hear me too, but I'm too concerned that my computer will melt down so I shut it down quickly.

As it turns out my GPU fans are not spinning at all, until the overheating occurs. When I boot up my computer it spins for about 1 second then stops.

After dusting and spinning it manually, I tried using Gigabyte OC Guru II to start the fans, but as it turns out according to GPU-Z the fan speed % is actually changing but the RPM still stays at 0.

I'm hoping to find a temporary solution as the new nvdia series is coming out in March, so I could upgrade to a 1070 way cheaper than I could now. But 3 months without gaming? :no:

Solution
I would literally just stick some case fans powered by molex on the card and ride it out, it's basically end of life and you are planning an upgrade. It's cheap and will keep temps down.

thesantisanhd

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

Both are failing, every software I checked can sense the temperature of the GPU.
http://ibb.co/eEzcs6
The % of the fans change accordingly, but the rpm stays 0. So it kinda looks like it thinks it is spinning.

thesantisanhd

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017

Sounds weird enough to work, I will give it a go :D