Question GPU overheating randomly on bootup ?

Oct 22, 2021
Hi, I'm having this issue since like couple of months where my GPU would overheat during bootup and crash system.

What's worse is it happens ocassionally and randomly. sometime during bootup other times after bootup it will load BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys error.
So far I have experienced this issue 6 times in 2 months. It works fine then randomly after couple of weeks gives this error. I'm begining to doubt my psu.

Fixes I have tried is
  • Clean Nvidia driver installation
  • Letting microsoft install display driver
  • Cleaning the whole system
  • Replacing thermal compound
My system specs are
Motherboard : Asus H81 M-CS
Processor : Intel pentium G3240
Ram : Corsair vengeance DDR3 4GB & Kingston hyperfury X 4GB
GPU : MSI GT 1030 LP OC 2GB DDR 5
PSU : IBALL 250W (comes with IBALL elegance case)

Your "PSU" is 132w in the 12v rail and that's under ideal conditions. That should be the first thing to upgrade.

How did you come to the conclusion that your GPU is overheating? It's highly rare for a gt 1030 to overheat, even in it's worse versions. Your issue lies elsewhere and most probably it's the PSU.

Oct 22, 2021
Your "PSU" is 132w in the 12v rail and that's under ideal conditions. That should be the first thing to upgrade.

How did you come to the conclusion that your GPU is overheating? It's highly rare for a gt 1030 to overheat, even in it's worse versions. Your issue lies elsewhere and most probably it's the PSU.
When I was getting error saw it on Afterburner it goes to 80 C when sitting idle before crashing and also touched the gpu heatsink getting quite hot when booting also the fans were running normal.