[SOLVED] GPU overheating without overclocking.. help pls!

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
I have a gigabyte rtx 2070 gaming oc and an i7-9700k, the cpu remains cool(below 68°) but the gpu reaches from 72° to 80° temperature with case closed when with gpu fan curve set to reach 86% above 75° and 100% at 85°c(fans start moving up from 0% from 50°c).I did some heaven benchmark testing at extreme full screen and found out that with side panel closed my gpu reaches 75-78°c max and with side panel open it reaches 70-72 at most.. other 2070 gpus i have seen in youtube videos never seem to go beyond 62°c..I have posted a picture of my whole setup and would like to know if anything needs to be changed:
View: https://imgur.com/a/GFRuq9I

So i have marked the fans with numbers and number 2 has 2 fans which are a part of my cpu cooler and fan1 is a removable extra fan i added as a part of the cpu cooler and 3 is the rear fan, all of which push the air behind/out of case + 4 and 5 are inlet fans

Solution
Overall, your GPU can take temperatures up to about 90 degrees. So if you're only touching 80 max, you're fine. If it's cooler with the side panel off, then you may just need to reduce ambient temperatures (if you are in a hot climate) or improve cool airflow.

89, to split hairs (See: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2070/ Full Specs)

9 degrees below max normal functioning temperature is nothing to be worrying about, and particularly if that's stable under load.

Your advice is spot on.

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
stick with 1 thread
I have a gigabyte rtx 2070 gaming oc and an i7-9700k, the cpu remains cool(below 68°) but the gpu reaches from 72° to 80° temperature with case closed when with gpu fan curve set to reach 86% above 75° and 100% at 85°c(fans start moving up from 0% from 50°c).I did some heaven benchmark testing at extreme full screen and found out that with side panel closed my gpu reaches 75-78°c max and with side panel open it reaches 70-72 at most.. other 2070 gpus i have seen in youtube videos never seem to go beyond 62°c..I have posted a picture of my whole setup and would like to know if anything needs to be changed:
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/PzKJcZ7

So i have marked the fans with numbers and number 2 has 2 fans which are a part of my cpu cooler and fan1 is a removable extra fan i added as a part of the cpu cooler and 3 is the rear fan, all of which push the air behind/out of case + 4 and 5 are inlet fans
edit:fixed the imgur link

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
have seen in youtube videos never seem to go beyond 62°c
Always take this with (a big) pinch of salt. Remember that every system and environment is different, their case and air flow may be incredibly different, their other components may be incredibly different.

Also on top of this, what are your ambient temperatures? Components are tested in controlled environments before selling, for every degree you are over "normal" ambient temperatures, you'll be a degree hotter. So in your youtube videos, you may be comparing one system that's running in 20 degree heat, and another in 30 degree heat, where the GPU temperature difference will be 10 degrees.

Overall, your GPU can take temperatures up to about 90 degrees. So if you're only touching 80 max, you're fine. If it's cooler with the side panel off, then you may just need to reduce ambient temperatures (if you are in a hot climate) or improve cool airflow.

Reactions: WildCard999

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
Always take this with (a big) pinch of salt. Remember that every system and environment is different, their case and air flow may be incredibly different, their other components may be incredibly different.

Also on top of this, what are your ambient temperatures? Components are tested in controlled environments before selling, for every degree you are over "normal" ambient temperatures, you'll be a degree hotter. So in your youtube videos, you may be comparing one system that's running in 20 degree heat, and another in 30 degree heat, where the GPU temperature difference will be 10 degrees.

i m talking about a room with an air conditioner set at 23°c so that does not matter much.. although should i keep my extra fan on the cpu or put it somewhere else? or is this ok? Also my motherboard is z390 aorus ultra and and my case is coolermaster mb511

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
i m talking about a room with an air conditioner set at 23°c so that does not matter much.. although should i keep my extra fan on the cpu or put it somewhere else? or is this ok? Also my motherboard is z390 aorus ultra and and my case is coolermaster mb511
No don't worry.

For intel as long as the CPU stays below 85, you're good (80 ideally).
For your GPU, keep it below 90 and you're good. (85 ideally).

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
Imgur pic doesn't seem to be working.

As for the overheating I would just make a custom fan curve, something like this would work well.

100% @75C
80%@70C
60%@65C

And so on.
No don't worry.

For intel as long as the CPU stays below 85, you're good (80 ideally).
For your GPU, keep it below 90 and you're good. (85 ideally).

i fixed the image though so you should probably give it a check

WildCard999

Titan
This is how you want the airflow to go (which looks like it's correct).
DWKPXkI.png

As long as noise isn't an issue though I'd set an aggressive fan curve.

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
noise isnt an issue but i m
This is how you want the airflow to go (which looks like it's correct).
DWKPXkI.png

As long as noise isn't an issue though I'd set an aggressive fan curve.
noise isnt an issue but i am afraid too fast fan can reduce its lifespan
Also how am i supposed to do the 2nd stream with the gpu? so to make the airflow go up should i put the fan 3 above fan 2?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019

89, to split hairs (See: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2070/ Full Specs)

9 degrees below max normal functioning temperature is nothing to be worrying about, and particularly if that's stable under load.

Your advice is spot on.

Solution