[SOLVED] GPU overheats ONLY in my system

mormoretti

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
I've had a 1060 3gb + Ryzen 5 2600 until recently and everything was fine. I bought a rtx gigabyte rtx 2060 – 3 fans model – and it was overheating a lot, peaking at 84ºC in a closed case, so I thought there was something wrong with it and returned it. The guy from the store told me he tested it and the card was stable at 67º in a closed case, even though he just had time to perform a synthetic test. So basically I'm looking for what could possibly make the card overheat that much in my system, maybe there's something wrong with my BIOS/voltage? Any help will be much appreciated.

Something that may be worth noting as well is that, initially, the fps with the 2060 was way below normal. I was getting around 75fps on GTA V ultra FHD and all the way down to 60fps on Witcher 3 Ultra FHD. But after maybe two days, it jumped up like 25-30fps all of a sudden, I could not explain what caused the change, as I had tried all the troubleshooting steps I knew and nothing had worked. Maybe this is connected to the temp issue?

System:
Ryzen 5 2600 stock
2x8gb G-Skill TridentZ RAM at 3000mhz
MSI Tomahawk b450 mobo
Case: Thermaltake v200 https://www.thermaltake.com/Chassis...003291/V200_Tempered_Glass_Edition/design.htm

Last edited:

mormoretti

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
Are you sure it isn't your computer case? what case is it?
Hey, thanks for replying! It is a v200 by ThermalTake, although that name seems to differ according to the region. It has decent (not great) airflow, with a back fan included, support for 280mm at the top and 360 or 280 at the front. The front panel seems to be quite choked, there is just one opening around the front panel and below it, but it doesn't seem enough. In any case, would you say that the case could make such a difference? I mean, from 67 to 84... I would understand if it were a completely choked and fanless case, but that's not the case (no pun intended).

mormoretti

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I actually sent the card back to the store for testing, and it turns out the card is completely fine. It really is just my case ventilation + hot weather. I didn't think of that because I have two Corsair LL140s on the front and a 120mm ThermalTake exhaust fan on the back, and I THOUGHT my case had good ventilation/air passage as to not choke the fans, but I guess I was wrong. What actually ended up helping was the new CPU cooler (Gammaxx GT RGB) I got for my Ryzen 5 2600, I guess it improved the air flow in general and the GPU only peaks at 75ishºC.

I will mark this as solved. Thanks again for the help!