Question GPU/ PC Freezing - Help needed

Joan_13

Reputable
Nov 22, 2016
I am having an issue where my PC often crashes but only in games. The games I have experienced this are Fallout 76 and recently even on Roblox. There are other issues that have been going on so I will start with those. I have 2 monitors, so when I was playing World of Warcraft the the 2nd monitor would go black like it lost signal, and notably the windows at the the bottom of the screen when from its regular dark grey to a very dark black color. To me it seems obvious that it’s affecting the graphics. This effect can happen on both screens and continues to do so but it did not use to freeze the PC completely until I started playing Fallout 76. Also to note, when this happened, either discord or chrome/firefox whatever I was using would lose video. Like if discord is open on the 2nd monitor it would be black and I would have to close discord and reopen to be able to see, same for any videos that where on the browser. The videos themselves would be black until I reopened it. As of now, every time my PC boots up, windows does a drive check. I have changed Fallout from the SSD to the M2 back to SSD. Highly doubt it’s a drive issue. Everything is up to date.

I bought Fallout 76 last month and that is when the PC started freezing. There is nothing specifically that prompts the freezing. It can happen at any moment in the game but most usually when I’m coming out of a menu. I can be in game for hours or seconds it is completely random when it happens. The issue where the 2nd monitor goes black can still happen without the PC freezing but this results in the game crashing. I’m guessing that when it freezes, it’s a result of the game crashing but the PC unable to move on from that.

When I look at the reliability log, sometimes it does show that Fallout 76 crashed before the PC froze. Other times it freezes before the computer takes note of the crash.

Specs:
i5- 6600K
ASUS Z170-A ATX DDR4
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-2974-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0
HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W Power Supply
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
Monitors incase its relevant are
AOC G2770PQU 144hz, 1ms, Ultimate Performance 27-Inch Professional Gaming Monitor
LG 32MA68HY-P 32-Inch IPS Monitor with Display Port and HDMI Inputs
I had an ASUS VE248Q 24" which I replaced with the LG because this monitor died. The issue I’m describing was occurring when I still had the ASUS.

things I’ve tried:
Uninstalling and fresh installing GPU drivers
Using different cords/inputs (DP and HDMI)
Windows memory diagnostic, no problems detected
Updated BIOS

I do not know what the issue is and would like assistance figure out what the problem is before I spend money on a new part only to have the issue remain. Please and thank you.

ASK THE COMMUNITY