[SOLVED] GPU PCIe Connector pin slightly damaged/peeled | Possible fixes | Should i be worried????

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
The GPU itself works great, but it looks like the "tip" of the connector pin is kinda peeled and damaged, so i'm worried about it being peeled off entirely in the future or if it can damage motherboard slot. You can see from the pictures as well, it's kinda bulked at the "tip", can it scratch the slot on motherboard, should i be worried and also, are there any fix for it?

EDIT: The GPU is Powercolor Red Dragon RX 5500 XT 8GB

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm, most of the pad is still attached to the PCB, I don't see that causing much trouble. If you install it and leave it alone anyway. If it works after you install it, I say leave it in there until your next GPU or motherboard upgrade.

The only worry would be a chunk of it breaking off during insertion and shorting out with the next pad over, which should be ground (the short one is the sense pin, allows hot swap that most boards don't actually support)

The Pins are in the motherboard slot, they shouldn't be damaged by such a thing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, most of the pad is still attached to the PCB, I don't see that causing much trouble. If you install it and leave it alone anyway. If it works after you install it, I say leave it in there until your next GPU or motherboard upgrade.

The only worry would be a chunk of it breaking off during insertion and shorting out with the next pad over, which should be ground (the short one is the sense pin, allows hot swap that most boards don't actually support)

The Pins are in the motherboard slot, they shouldn't be damaged by such a thing.

Reactions: Bach0
Solution

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013

Would it be "wise" from amateur like me to try and break off the damaged part , so there's no "bump" when i try to insert the card?