GPU Performance Hierarchy 2024: Video Cards Ranked

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Thank you for the hard work updating the list. This is one of the most comprehensive list on the internet. It can even be considered THE list.

I have several suggestions though. For readers, it might be easier to visualize value (the most important parameter in a buying decision) in terms of performance vs proce graph. This would certainly help a ton of readers.

I also think it's about time to consider migrating to a DDR5 + 3DCache system soon. Take your time, because it's a lot of work, but I'm sure you wouldn't regret progressively preparing before it's eventually a necessity.

I'd like to add that power consumption relates to heat density, which is a huge concern with people chasing for a quiet or small system. More power doesn't only mean higher power bills, but also needs a better/bigger PSU, a HSF with a bigger footprint and more noise. I think the concept is important to mention.

Plus, be sure to also mention a GPU's cooling performance (about specific AIB coolers). Certain AIBs can sometime make terrible coolers which often irritates their buyers even more than performance value.

Just some suggestions, of course. Please keep up the good work.
FWIW, I've been testing (for reviews) with 13900K plus DDR5-6400 since late 2022. I've been trying to get all the results sorted, but over the past year I've had multiple instances of results changing significantly and thus screwing up earlier testing. It's a never ending cycle. I had intended to switch the hierarchy to the 13900K + DDR5 nearly a year ago, but it has never happened. <Sigh>

I've had some idiosyncrasies with my 13900K PC, which I've mentioned elsewhere. (See: 13900K crashing in games). I've now come up with settings that appear to be fully stable, and locked my test system to 22H2 — which means I'm skipping a bunch of more recent security updates just to stay consistent. But there are some weird things that still happen now, for example Nvidia's driver installer now craps out probably 75% of the time and I don't know why (probably because of locking down the PC and disabling Windows Update).

I'm not super happy with the 13900K (and by extension 14900K) right now. I've actually told AMD, "Get me Zen 5 X3D when it launches and I will switch all my GPU testing over to it." That's my current plan, unless Intel can pull a rabbit out of its hat with Arrow Lake and show that it is indisputably the better choice for gaming. But if it's even close to a tie (and it probably will be), I'm planning to move to Zen 5 X3D once it becomes available, then retest everything, and then switch the hierarchy to the new results.

I have tested all the current and previous generation AMD, Intel, and Nvidia GPUs on the 13900K, and because of improvements in the data collection, I use those for the charts (but not the table) in the hierarchy. Basically, I get power, temps, and clock speeds of the GPUs on the newer test PC. I could use the same hardware on the older 12900K system, but I'd still have to retest everything so I haven't bothered. :)

Reactions: King_V and daris98

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
W9CPOns.gif