Question GPU picture is coming up looking like torn interlaced.

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
Hey all, I've got an older GTX 780 GPU that seems to be working, but the image on the monitor just looks interlaced and torn with horizontal lines all over, and occasional solid square blocks here and there. When it first happened it was in the middle of a game and I thought there was a virus on the system. I tried plugging it in again, and it's still the same in a completely different system. Any idea what could be the cause and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
the image on the monitor just looks interlaced and torn with horizontal lines all over, and occasional solid square blocks here and there.
Mind sharing an image of what you're seeing? From how you've described it to be, it's artifacting.

Open up GPU-Z and see what your memory size for your GPU is. Also, if you're on Windows 10, see what Device manager reports the GPU to be.

As for your build, might want to also mention the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age.

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
the image on the monitor just looks interlaced and torn with horizontal lines all over, and occasional solid square blocks here and there.
Mind sharing an image of what you're seeing? From how you've described it to be, it's artifacting.

Open up GPU-Z and see what your memory size for your GPU is. Also, if you're on Windows 10, see what Device manager reports the GPU to be.

As for your build, might want to also mention the make and model of your PSU as well as it's age.

Sorry, I forgot I made this post. I can't get into Windows, or at least if I am in Windows, I can't tell. I'll try to take a picture of the screen but I don't have the card in a system right now.
I should have said that the screen is mostly black with horizontal lines all over... It looks like some effect they'd use for a hacking scene in a movie. The system works fine because I replaced the GPU ages back. I just felt maybe there was a way I could salvage the GPU as it seems a waste to just throw it out.

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
So it was the GPU that kicked the bucket, then. Find the cause of the issue or was it that the card's age(+wear and tear) caused it's demise?
It's really weird. The card was working no problem, my wife and I were playing a game, and then suddenly (I think it was the next day) she tried to launch the game and the monitor went all funky. She was in windows with everything working fine, launched the game, and kablooey. It hasn't worked since. I thought it was a virus at first, but after swapping the GPU with another the computer worked fine. Maybe a transistor on the GPU blew or something? I can't see anything obvious, but I'm not experience with hardware outside of plugging it into a case.

Lutfij

Titan
If you go through my first post to this thread, you might have an indication of why I asked for the make and model of your PSU(alongside it's age+subsequently the specs to your build). Have seen too many instances where a faulty or failing PSU knocked out more than a GPU. Also have seen a poorly maintained system with dust bunnies cripple a system due to heat.

TorQueMoD

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
If you go through my first post to this thread, you might have an indication of why I asked for the make and model of your PSU(alongside it's age+subsequently the specs to your build). Have seen too many instances where a faulty or failing PSU knocked out more than a GPU. Also have seen a poorly maintained system with dust bunnies cripple a system due to heat.
Yeah, the reason I said it's not the PSU is that I tried the card in a completely separate system and it still had the same issue. I haven't had a chance yet to put the card back in a system because I'm lacking the extra cables to hook it up (just put everything in storage) and I don't want to steal the cables from my main system yet. I'll probably get a proper photo of what's happening in the next week or so.