[SOLVED] Gpu possiblities.

Apr 27, 2021
I have an M92p with an I7 3770 with upgraded 400watt psu and a GTX850M(I know the best they say you can get is a 1650 because these GPU's dont have a 6 pin..).however the upgraded psu has multiple sata leads that I can buy a 5 dollar adapter for and make them power supplies for a gpu. Does this mean I could find a more powerful gpu that requires a power supply as long as it will fit physically in the case? Or will some other reason prevent it from working? I'm probably gonna have a i7 6700k in about a week and either way I'm trying to find a gpu that won't bottleneck the CPU or vice versa. Thanks

Solution
While you can buy SATA to PCIe adapters, that is generally not a good idea. A while ago there was a guy on here who was having GPU issues which was traced back to him using Molex to PCIe adapters. The real issue is that you will not get the same amount of power delivery through the SATA plugs as you may need from a PCIe 6pin. Plus, a cheap adapter will 99% be lower quality, which can cause other issues. The only real recommended solution is a better PSU that has the cables you need. Also, GPUs are almost impossible to find at the moment, so keep that in mind.
While you can buy SATA to PCIe adapters, that is generally not a good idea. A while ago there was a guy on here who was having GPU issues which was traced back to him using Molex to PCIe adapters. The real issue is that you will not get the same amount of power delivery through the SATA plugs as you may need from a PCIe 6pin. Plus, a cheap adapter will 99% be lower quality, which can cause other issues. The only real recommended solution is a better PSU that has the cables you need. Also, GPUs are almost impossible to find at the moment, so keep that in mind.

Solution
Apr 27, 2021
Ok. I guess the GTX1650 low profile it is...I think that's a decent matchup with the 17 3770 also. I think I'll just bite the bullet and pay the around 300 dollars they want. I hate to,but I may need to. I'm just doing this while I wait on the market to catch up for my Atx build. It's a really good running lil pc...for what its limited to. I play mostly minecraft so the graphics demand isnt huge anyway.thanks