[SOLVED] GPU possibly DOA? How do I confirm this and what are the next steps?

Jul 27, 2020
Recently started a new build and everything went fine until I got windows installed. Then after a brief period (sometimes up to ten minutes) the whole system would crash and the fans on the GPU (RTX 2070 Super) would suddenly be spinning at high speed. The system wouldn't lose power during the crash and the fans would run perpetually on high until I shut down the system and restarted. I turned off XMP to ensure that wasn't the issue, updated the drivers to the latest, then removed those drivers and tried using older ones, and then I took the card out of the new system and into my old and got identical crashes.

It seems to me that possibly the card is just DOA? Is there anything else I need to do to confirm this 100%? And if it is DOA where do I go from here? Do I just return it to Amazon, or contact the manufacturer? Not sure which of those two is the better option in this scenario as I've never had dead hardware show up before. I'm planning on putting my old GPU into the new system later today to make sure it works, but based on what's happened so far I assume it will.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
Putting a new card into an old system does rule the card out as a DOA component. In fact we'll need to know what the specs to your old machine are as well as the age of the old system's PSU.

Did you try and take the card to a donor system that has more than 650W of power from a reliably built PSU? You will also need to use DDU prior to removing the old GPU and dropping in the new GPU, then install the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site.

Lutfij

Titan
Putting a new card into an old system does rule the card out as a DOA component. In fact we'll need to know what the specs to your old machine are as well as the age of the old system's PSU.

Did you try and take the card to a donor system that has more than 650W of power from a reliably built PSU? You will also need to use DDU prior to removing the old GPU and dropping in the new GPU, then install the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site.

Solution
Jul 27, 2020

So my donor system has 100 watts more on the PSU than the one we took it from. I did use DDU prior to removing the old GPU and putting in the new one and I updated drivers as well. The PSU on the system I put it into is probably about 3-4 years old or so.

Here are the specs for the system I put it into:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Signature 8 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL11 Memory
Storage: Crucial M4 128 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 390 8 GB Video Card
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply