[SOLVED] GPU possibly fried

Carlo Finnegan

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
I recently bought a used PC on ebay that i7 9700k 32gb ram and a 1080ti aorus gigabyte. I got the pc for 800 euro so i was over the moon i ran some stress test(3d mark) played some games and it was working great. Two days after i bought it my pc randomly shut off after i restarted and my gpu seems to be completely dead. I took off the heatsink to discover this

View: https://imgur.com/xyKpFr4

View: https://imgur.com/1zGWSLC

View: https://imgur.com/6mzpGiV

View: https://imgur.com/UCbmFOV

One of what i think is a capacitor is not connected to the pcb and was stuck onto the thermal pad.
There is also a burnt smell. Im pretty upset and hope something can be done.
Is there anyway to fix this as i paid cash and i dont think im going to get my money back.
Also is there anyway the seller could of known about this issue and just used the pressure between the pcb and heatsink to hold it down.
Do you think it could have shorted onto something else and killed the gpu that way or maybe me moving the gpu to a different pc caused it to become
more loose.
It was working when he sold it too me so i have no idea how to convince the guy it wasnt my fault but the hardware he sold me was bad.

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, this is my second capacitor reply today.

i couldn’t see the pic clearly, it looks like an inductor to me but it might just be a black cap.

if you have a soldering iron or hot air gun you could try soldering it back in place.

If it is indeed a capacitor, then it must be an electrolytic one. it should have a polarity. One side of the top of the cap should be a different shade. You must orient the capacitor the same as the other ones. i.e. the shaded part should be put in the same direction as the others.

there may be no way to tell who’s at fault for sure, but since it’s already there and if the seller won’t accept a return the best course of action would be to try and fix it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is there anyway to fix this

No. Even if you do solder the cap back to the PCB, there's no "fixing" of the burn within the PCB.

Also is there anyway the buyer could of known about this issue and just used the pressure between the pcb and heatsink to hold it down.

It is probable, but impossible to prove.

maybe me moving the gpu to a different pc caused it to become more loose.

This is more likely since the PC ran fine after purchase.

so i have no idea how to convince the guy it wasnt my fault but the hardware he sold me was bad.

Well, you can't prove that a faulty hardware was sold to you since you ran your tests + gaming and it worked fine. Also, since you moved the GPU by yourself, it is highly likely that something happened during the move.

The thing with 2nd hand market is, that while it is cheaper than brand new, you won't get any warranty with it either. So, if anything dies, you're left high and dry. But cheap price compensates it.

Btw, it could've been the PSU as well that killed the GPU.

Reactions: Carlo Finnegan

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020

i couldn’t see the pic clearly, it looks like an inductor to me but it might just be a black cap.

if you have a soldering iron or hot air gun you could try soldering it back in place.

If it is indeed a capacitor, then it must be an electrolytic one. it should have a polarity. One side of the top of the cap should be a different shade. You must orient the capacitor the same as the other ones. i.e. the shaded part should be put in the same direction as the others.

there may be no way to tell who’s at fault for sure, but since it’s already there and if the seller won’t accept a return the best course of action would be to try and fix it.

Solution

Carlo Finnegan

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah there is a different shade on one side of the cap. Will probably give soldering a shot thanks for your help.

jasonf2

Distinguished
This isn't a perfect answer but there are still a few TV/Radio repair shops that have the equipment and expertise to re-solder the cap to the PCB. Non withstanding the other damage I would call around in your local area and ask. It will still probably be a shop minimum plus labor to do the repair, with no warranty/guarantee on work. I don't know if it is worth it to you but it cannot hurt to call around and ask.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Yeah there is a different shade on one side of the cap. Will probably give soldering a shot thanks for your help.

If it doesn’t work by soldering you could get some from aliexpress or from any board or electronics you may have. Just match the values. I think the number on top would be the capacitance, in the middle would be its voltage, and on the bottom, I don’t know for sure.

i noticed Aeacus responded before me, he may be right and the board is burnt, but i like to be optimistic specially now that gpu prices are sky high. The burnt smell may just be the broken part it self or because the connection was loose.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
but i like to be optimistic specially now that gpu prices are sky high. The burnt smell may just be the broken part it self or because the connection was loose.

Sadly, the hope or will alone doesn't fix the GPU.
If we would be Orcs in Warhammer 40K, where a thing is clearly broken but Orcs belief of it working, magically makes it to work - it would be awesome. 😆

If the cap itself produced the burnt smell then a new cap is needed. But i lean towards the burn within PCB since that is more likely.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
There's no way to know whether that part was already broken off when you bought it, or if you broke it off when you took it apart. If the card worked when you got it, it most likely wasn't broken at that time. How long ago did you buy it? You only have a limited time to make a claim against a seller on ebay. If the time has already expired, it will be assumed that you tested it on arrival and that it worked at that time. If you left positive feedback for the seller, that will also be held against you as proof that it worked when it arrived. Expecting a warranty on used electronics bought from a private seller is like expecting a warranty on a used car from a private seller. There is none. That's why I always put used hardware through it's paces for a few days before leaving feedback. Running it hard for a few days will usually bring out any issues that may be present.

Last edited:

Carlo Finnegan

Honorable
Feb 7, 2015
Thanks alot for all the responses, found a forum post created about 5 days ago of someone who had the exact same issue with the same part on the same card which is kinda crazy so hopefully gonna give the repair a shot.