Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
So, pretty straight forward. My specs are:
  • 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro +
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450 Gaming Plus
  • Seasonic focus gold gx 650w
  • the rest isn't really important, some drives, pretty standard memory sticks
Last week while playing a game the whole system crashed and rebooted. And when it did, the motherboard displayed a VGA Led error.
I forced shut down the computer and everything turned on like usual. From this point on, every time I would turn on games the system would crash like the first time.
I spent a week blaming poor drivers, mainly because every time I would try a new one, it seemed like it could play a game for a minute or two. Keep in mind this whole time using Windows is fine, for as long as I want.
Yesterday, I went to try my stuff on a friend's rig, and when I took it apart I found out what really happened.
These are the pictures I took:
GPU: View: https://imgur.com/cEKvoqT

Cable: View: https://imgur.com/WeU9Ynh

As you can see, three pins of the 8-pin power connector is very much melted, while the GPU Power Connected melted a bit as well on the corresponding pins.
So I am stuck trying to find an explanation. This is a very good Power Unit and stuff like this shouldn't happen out of nowhere.
As it stands, I'm in the middle of RMAing both the GPU and Power Supply, because I don't want to take the risk of this happening again.
And on that note, is where I want some pro's opinions. Is this just common GPU malfunction? (I'm at least leaning on the GPU because the Power Supply cables look fine for the most part, and the cable shown with the melted pins is one of those CableMod adapters)
Was there anything I could do to prevent this?

Solution
This is not normal for a PSU or GPU.

However....
"the cable shown with the melted pins is one of those CableMod adapters "

Even though they may be good adapters, ANY adapter is more prone to failure than the original cables.
Also, not plugging it in all the way may also do this. A very slightly loose connection, for instance.

USAFRet

Titan
This is not normal for a PSU or GPU.

However....
"the cable shown with the melted pins is one of those CableMod adapters "

Even though they may be good adapters, ANY adapter is more prone to failure than the original cables.
Also, not plugging it in all the way may also do this. A very slightly loose connection, for instance.

Reactions: dotas1
Solution