Question GPU power LED started flashing during sleep mode and then no power to system ?

Sep 1, 2021
Last friday my partner left her week old gaming PC idling alone for some time, enough for W10 to put it into sleep mode as per the power settings. At some point during sleep mode the GPU power led above the power connector had started flashing. The PC wouldn't respond to wakeup signal from peripherals or even the power button. I tried holding down the power button to force shutdown but nothing happened.

So I did what I thought was the sensible thing to do and switched the PSU off, waited for the mobo RGB to go out, switched the PSU on again and pushed the power button.
A flash of RGB, some fans slightly jerked and then nothing, except the mobo RGB lighting stays on. I also noticed the PSU didn't make it signature "click" sound related to inrush current protection. After a failed attempt like this, the power button won't do anything unless I power cycle the PSU which leads me to believe that something is causing a safety feature to trip and it resets only by power cycling.

I also observed the GPU power led flashing once before and that was after waking the PC from sleep. And the led wouldn't stop flashing by turning off the PC and only stopped after power cycling the PSU. Otherwise the computer worked fine. No crashes, no performance problems, excellent thermals. Ran RDR2 without issues. The mobo RGB works whenever I switch the PSU on so it's getting some power at least.

I've tried the small stuff: disconnecting case fans, the fan hub, ARGB hub, and even everything except the power cord from the rear. I've also checked the GPU power connector and the 24pin connector. For the 8+4 plug I had to do with a visual check since my hand won't fit in the corner where it's plugged in but everything seems ok, the connectors are sitting flush with the socket. One last thing I could try before taking everything apart is maybe disconnecting the GPU power cable.

Now I know that if I'm going to figure this out myself, I'll probably have to breadboard the whole system, or take it to a shop since I've had my fair share of hardware puzzles lately, but is there anything else I could do before that, anything that blatantly suggests something specific or any known issues with the components listed below?

I should add that the PC was built by the retailer using parts I chose. I usually build my own but this was a gift to my partner so I thought it would be nice to just have everything ready.
I'm technically eligible to RMA the whole build, but that would require shipping the PC halfway across the country. It's a wonder it found its way to us in one piece. Anyway, they told me that if I can pinpoint the issue, I can also RMA just the affected part(s) so I wouldn't have to ship the whole thing.

Specs:
  • Asus Rog Strix B550-E Gaming
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X w/ Noctua NH-U12A
  • G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2 x 16 GB 3600 MHz CL18 (DOCP enabled)
  • Asus RTX 3060 Rog Strix OC edition v2
  • be quiet! Dark Power 12 750W
  • be quiet! ARGB hub
  • Fractal Design Meshify 2 w/ stock fans & 4x be quiet! Light Wings 140mm PWM

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that the PSU is a prime suspect.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance may verify that the PSU has failed in some manner.

Also bear in mind that the sudden power losses may have caused file corruptions and those corruptions are also complicating matters.

Sep 1, 2021
My thought is that the PSU is a prime suspect.

Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance may verify that the PSU has failed in some manner.

Also bear in mind that the sudden power losses may have caused file corruptions and those corruptions are also complicating matters.

Thanks for the reply!

I actually do have a multimeter but I haven't used it many times and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable working with something like a PSU... Although the page you linked makes it seem like a pretty straightforward task.

As for files, luckily there's not much there yet, since we've had the PC for just about a week. It's pretty much just the OS, drivers, a web browser and a couple of games. So unless something has completely fried the SSDs, we can just do a clean install if needed.

Maybe the safest bet is to take it to the local PC shop. They're just a 5 minute drive away and offer free troubleshooting. Whatever the root cause is, shipping a component or two back to the retailer is less risky than shipping the whole build.
Too bad if it's the PSU. I specifically chose to not skimp on such an important component. And it's one of the few parts that are actually relevant to keep when upgrading. Oh well... stuff happens. Luckily it has a 10 year guarantee from the manufacturer.

Ralston18

Titan
Agree: if you are not comfortable with the multi-meter (and perhaps even if you are) no harm in going to the local PC store.

No point in you doing or risking something that could invalidate the warranty.

Especially if you and others deem the business trustworthy. Always good if you can be right there to keep an eye on things.

Sep 1, 2021
Agree: if you are not comfortable with the multi-meter (and perhaps even if you are) no harm in going to the local PC store.

I took the PC to the shop yesterday, they just called me and told that it was the PSU. I will return it to the retailer and get it RMA'd. Luckily everything else seemed to work fine. The shop also said that they have an EVGA Supernova 750 GT on sale for just 90 euros but I'm going to try and find some reviews before making a decision.

Sep 1, 2021

I talked directly with someone from the repair team and asked if they know anything about the EVGA unit I was offered and they said they have had various similar EVGA PSUs inspected for problems. IIRC the exact wording was something I'd translate as "units produced within the same time frame". That didn't sound good at all so I ended up ordering a Corsair RM750x (2021). Let's hope it's not a dud.