[SOLVED] GPU power limit and clock-speeds goes up, but framerate goes down?

BS-

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2013
When setting power limit to 125% my 2080ti will give me higher clock speeds but lower fps in games and heaven...it will also crash the games at times by just setting this power limit. Afterburner states in the overlay that I am power-limited. The gpu will start off with 120+% power draw maxing out wattage at around 300 W but drop to around 250 and stay there. This is timed somewhat perfectly with the card hitting the 74 degrees. My PSU is a corsair 1000W, and seems to not be the problem. I just can't understand the fact that my clock speeds are higher with the power limit setting on, but framerate is higher with it at stock.....

Solution
Gpu Boost 3.0.
It's a feature that auto OCs the gpu for you, based on the gpu's parameters - it is dynamic.
The cooler the core operates, the higher the available boost bin is.
Ditto for power - the less frequently the gpu runs into the power limit, the higher the bin is.
It does not boost infinitely; if you've watched it long enough, you should've noticed that there is a number it likes to, or tries to, settle on.

By raising the power limit, you're telling the gpu that it can draw more power for higher bins - this has a way of turning back around against you though.
By drawing more power, it runs hotter, as well as increasing the likelihood of running into the power limit more frequently.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu Boost 3.0.
It's a feature that auto OCs the gpu for you, based on the gpu's parameters - it is dynamic.
The cooler the core operates, the higher the available boost bin is.
Ditto for power - the less frequently the gpu runs into the power limit, the higher the bin is.
It does not boost infinitely; if you've watched it long enough, you should've noticed that there is a number it likes to, or tries to, settle on.

By raising the power limit, you're telling the gpu that it can draw more power for higher bins - this has a way of turning back around against you though.
By drawing more power, it runs hotter, as well as increasing the likelihood of running into the power limit more frequently.

Solution