GPU Power Question

ACR102

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
On the power color radeon r9 290x turbo duo do i need to plug in both of the PCI chords, or can i plug in both ends of a single chord? This is a picture of my psu and its cables to help clarify. Let me know if my question is still confusing, I wasn't quite sure how to word it better. Thanks.
12-Cables.jpg

Solution
The Antec HCG-900 has four +12V rails with a combined maximum output of 850 Watts (70.8 Amps). There are two PCI-E power cables with each cable having two (6+2)-pin PCI-E power connectors chained onto them. One PCI-E cable is wired to the +12V3 rail and the other PCI-E cable is wired to the +12V4 rail. Each +12V rail can deliver up to a maximum of 480 Watts (40 Amps) with an OCP (Over Current Protection) Set Point of 52 Amps.

Since the PowerColor TurboDuo R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 (AXR9 290X 4GBD5-TDHE) draws less than 480 Watts, even when overclocked, you will be safe using just one of the PCI-E cables with both PCI-E power connectors connected to the graphics card.
What's the brand and model of the PSU? Is the PSU a single +12V rail or multiple +12V rail design?

If it's a single +12V rail design there shouldn't be any problem using a single cable with two PCIe connectors on it.

If it's a multiple +12V rail design then it depends on how the PCIe cables are wired to the PSU. OCP set point for each of the +12V rails will need to be taken into consideration.

The Antec HCG-900 has four +12V rails with a combined maximum output of 850 Watts (70.8 Amps). There are two PCI-E power cables with each cable having two (6+2)-pin PCI-E power connectors chained onto them. One PCI-E cable is wired to the +12V3 rail and the other PCI-E cable is wired to the +12V4 rail. Each +12V rail can deliver up to a maximum of 480 Watts (40 Amps) with an OCP (Over Current Protection) Set Point of 52 Amps.

Since the PowerColor TurboDuo R9 290X 4GB GDDR5 (AXR9 290X 4GBD5-TDHE) draws less than 480 Watts, even when overclocked, you will be safe using just one of the PCI-E cables with both PCI-E power connectors connected to the graphics card.

Solution