Question GPU Power Specs

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Simple question, when it says for exam750W PS for a Video card, is that how much the card only draws, and will it need a larger PS to power the whole system? and if I need larger how much larger. I know it depends on the parts, just getting a handle on this , I am thinking of getting a 6800 xt GPU after the 7XXX come out. right now I have a 5700 XT 'now but want to make sure i can power it,

Hi,

The exact Wattage requirement varies from system to system, and if we plan to Overclock the GPU/CPU, then the PSU should have some headroom as well. That does not mean the GPU will always draw 750 Watts, assuming you have a 750 Watt PSU.

This is actually the recommended PSU for the whole system, and not just the GPU alone, to be on a safer side. The system will still use/pull only the maximum wattage required, regardless of whether you have 500 or 850 Watts PSU.

If suppose you have a 500W PSU installed on any RIG, then that does not mean that it will always draw the full wattage/500 W. Nope.. The amount of power drawn is determined by the number of components on that rig/computer, and how much they actually require. The amount of power drawn will only be equal to what is required, and not more.

Suppose, if all the components of a rig require 400 W to run, then the "load" on the PSU will be 400 W, and hence the power draw of that particular PC will always be 400 W (depending on the efficiency obviously), regardless of whether a 500 Watt or a 1000 W PSU is installed. PSU efficiency is a different matter though, as how well the PSU converts the AC power it receives from the outlet, to DC. Any electricity which is not converted from AC to DC, is given off as heat.

A PLATINUM certified PSU might help you save a little on your electricity bill, over a year, though this depends on many other factors as well. Because any high quality Tier 1 platinum certified PSU is rated for at least 90% efficiency at 20% load, 92% at 50% load, and 89% at 100% load (just a rough estimate).

Edit:

Btw, what's the current make and Model number of your PSU which you are using now ?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Simple question, when it says for exam750W PS for a Video card, is that how much the card only draws, and will it need a larger PS to power the whole system? and if I need larger how much larger. I know it depends on the parts, just getting a handle on this , I am thinking of getting a 6800 xt GPU after the 7XXX come out. right now I have a 5700 XT 'now but want to make sure i can power it,
What the manufacture says has nothing to do with anything. They have no clue what the rest of your PC needs.

This is why I think they should only state the TDP of the video card but instead they bump it way up for your other potential hardware and/or if you buy a cheap over rated PSU.

300 Watts is the peak they got for that card this can vary depending on the model and overclock from the manufacture.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-review,5.html

Last edited:

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
My PS is a 750 Watt, I am not sure of the brand, I bought a computer from Microcenter Ryzen 9 3000.(Power Spec 464). The 5700 xt is working fine, I just thought I might upgrade it. I want to thank you for all your answers.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Brand/model # will be on the sticker, a good gold 750 will power a 6800xt just fine. Assuming you aren't heavily over clocking. But if you're in the market for a new one, might as well shoot for the moon. 10 year warranty, 1000w plus. But I'd wait for a smoking deal from a good mfg. Also skip the small/compact form factor power supplies & go standard size. The smaller form factors have to reduce the amount of components & that can lead to issues when it comes to high power draw. I've got a 850 Gold from EVGA with my 6900xt, no problems, wouldn't mind upgrading but there is really no need to, so I'm not.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

coxbw

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Brand/model # will be on the sticker, a good gold 750 will power a 6800xt just fine. Assuming you aren't heavily over clocking. But if you're in the market for a new one, might as well shoot for the moon. 10 year warranty, 1000w plus. But I'd wait for a smoking deal from a good mfg. Also skip the small/compact form factor power supplies & go standard size. The smaller form factors have to reduce the amount of components & that can lead to issues when it comes to high power draw. I've got a 850 Gold from EVGA with my 6900xt, no problems, wouldn't mind upgrading but there is really no need to, so I'm not.
TY. while a 10 year warranty is great, I just turned 65 so the PS might outlive me :)

i do not plan on overclocking either the CPU or GPU I did upgrade the CPU right after the warranty expired. and for the things I do the computer is not really stressed a lot, I started in computers back in the 8 bit CPU days .So I have seen a LOT of changes, some good some not so good. my first computer I had to solder the parts onto a silk screened blank PC card (SWTP 6800) and it had a massive 4k of memory. ran at 800 KHZ ty all again for your help

Reactions: Kona45primo
I started in computers back in the 8 bit CPU days

Good to know that you are long time PC veteran ! :) I too have played games and done ALL sorts of stuff only on the PC, since owning a 3Dfx Voodoo card, and a Pentium CPU. From that time till now, I have upgraded my PC on a constant basis.

And yeah, a LOT has changed in tech today, and it's hard be believe the advancements we have made when it comes to semiconductors, electronics and other gadgets.

Last edited: