[SOLVED] GPU Powers on but Doesn't Display

Oct 2, 2020
Hello. I built a pc 6 months ago utilizing a Asus Strix 1080ti. Mine works perfectly, nothing wrong with it. However my friend has exactly the same card that he bought used online and after about 2 games it stopped working. When I plug it in the card lights up but does not output an image for the monitor nor does it allow me to utilize the hdmi on the motherboard. Basically it highjacks the motherboard without working. Any ideas as to what component on the GPU is the issue?

Solution
It's a faulty card. I had similar issues with yours months back with my old hd 7970. It didnt output anything so i heated up the core with a hair dryer. After that there is a display with occasional green lines or artifacts on the screen.
Oct 2, 2020
I think he could of been sold an faulty used GPU can happen on the internet but try and make sure it seated correctly and cables are attached correctly!
I thought so. I have double checked. I'll plug in his nothing works. Plug in mine everything is fine. If possible I would like to fix it for him just as a project so any information would be appreciated.

I thought so. I have double checked. I'll plug in his nothing works. Plug in mine everything is fine. If possible I would like to fix it for him just as a project so any information would be appreciated.

That seem strange if it works on your computer then there something must be wrong with his computer so could you tell the forums your friends specs including what PSU he has.

Oct 2, 2020
That seem strange if it works on your computer then there something must be wrong with his computer so could you tell the forums your friends specs including what PSU he has.
Lol sorry you misunderstand me. It does not work in his or mine. I just happen to have exactly the same gpu which is how I know it isn't a problem with the pc. My gpu works fine in the system but his doesn't. We've already verified that his gpu doesn't work in any pc we plug it into.

Oct 2, 2020
So Update. I just checked and the card does heat up though not hot enough to trigger the fans. And for a second or two when I turned it on the screen would have green lines all over it. I'd upload a image if this forum would allow it.

poorbugger

Distinguished
It's a faulty card. I had similar issues with yours months back with my old hd 7970. It didnt output anything so i heated up the core with a hair dryer. After that there is a display with occasional green lines or artifacts on the screen.

Solution
Oct 2, 2020
Hi, are you referring to the gpu as a whole or a particular component? I've built a few systems but I have never fixed individual components.