Question GPU Prices as of today.....

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Can anyone answer why the prices are still high? I figured by this time, especially since bitcoin is dead that prices will cool off some but they are still outrageous for a 2080Ti or a 2080.... #Frustrated

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
The 2080/Ti weren't affected by mining, those high prices are the correct retail price (MSRP).

Cards that were such as the RX 580/570/Vega 56/64/GTX 1060 have come back to the correct prices.

I don't see how.. it seems to me that yes, folks didn't buy 20xx cards for mining but they are trying to recover losses at the expense of the consumer..

WildCard999

Titan
I don't see how.. it seems to me that yes, folks didn't buy 20xx cards for mining but they are trying to recover losses at the expense of the consumer..
Well for awhile Nvidia had a massive stock of 10XX series GPU's post mining that they were trying to get rid of so I doubt the price of high end RTX was affected. We saw 1070's for under $300 which was dirt cheap and now were seeing the 1660/1660 ti taking over the 1060 6gb for mid to high end gaming going from $220 to just over $300. I think the only way were going to see Nvidia lower there price is if AMD 3XXX (Navi) outperforms Nvidia with a lower price tag.

AMD's flagship card, the Radeon VII, still doesn't compete with the 2080 ti but is at least quite a bit cheaper.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
AMD has no cards that compete with the 2080/2080Ti, so Nvidia can charge whatever they want. So far Turing pricing is just an extrapolation of the Pascal/Polaris/Vega price/performance curve. Hopefully AMD changes that with Navi in July.

if thats the case I wish it would come out sooner because these prices are ridiculous... My friend purchased a 1080Ti ICX back in 2017 for 799.99 MSRP... now, that same card is over 1K and I think thats BS.... you cannot tell me that its going back to MSRP...

just venting as I got a new monitor with GSync and running a 980Ti that was loaned to me from a friend and hesitant on spending a ton on card I don't believe is worth that high.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Well for awhile Nvidia had a massive stock of 10XX series GPU's post mining that they were trying to get rid of so I doubt the price of high end RTX was affected. We saw 1070's for under $300 which was dirt cheap and now were seeing the 1660/1660 ti taking over the 1060 6gb for mid to high end gaming going from $220 to just over $300. I think the only way were going to see Nvidia lower there price is if AMD 3XXX (Navi) outperforms Nvidia with a lower price tag.

AMD's flagship card, the Radeon VII, still doesn't compete with the 2080 ti but is at least quite a bit cheaper.

Let's hope so.. I don't want another AMD GPU.. too many artifacts across the screen and I now own a ultrawide with Gsync.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
My friend purchased a 1080Ti ICX back in 2017 for 799.99 MSRP... now, that same card is over 1K and I think thats BS.... you cannot tell me that its going back to MSRP...
That's because 1080 Tis aren't in production any more. Prices for end of life tech products always end up going wonky and MSRP goes out the window, as supply is low and the only people left selling them are 3rd party marketplace sellers trying to gouge people.