News GPU Prices Dropped Another 9% in the First Half of March

Why would Nvidia do that when they can charge you twice as much for twice the performance for an Ada GPU? Who knows what the MSRP's will be, but spoiler alert, the 4080 isn't going to be $700.
While I expect a bump in MSRP since $650-$700 has been the MSRP for flagships for the past 8-9 years, I highly doubt it'll be say $1500 out the gate.

Case in point, the GTX 1080 was basically 80% better than the GTX 980. They only charged about 20% more.

D

Deleted member 2783327

You'll finally be able to buy a new 30-series GPU for close to MSRP right before the 40-series makes them all obsolete.

Prices here are staying firm. I've been watching the 3060 Ti.. I would like 4 of them.

What typically happens here is the outgoing generation is hiked up in price to "encourage" people to buy the newer generation.

And of course, as the new gen arrives, they'll be sucked up by scalpers and so begins the endless cycle anew, with nary a card ever seeing even close to MSRP :(

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
While I expect a bump in MSRP since $650-$700 has been the MSRP for flagships for the past 8-9 years, I highly doubt it'll be say $1500 out the gate.

Case in point, the GTX 1080 was basically 80% better than the GTX 980. They only charged about 20% more.
I don't think Nvidia will charge $1500 for a 4080. I have my doubts they will even sell a 4080. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their naming scheme altogether to try and muddle up any direct comparisons to previous generations because of how screwy the market has been the last year and a half. Any announced "MSRP" for the 3090Ti could give us some insight where pricing is heading.

Last edited:
51940952961_b6a817461a_z.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
You'll finally be able to buy a new 30-series GPU for close to MSRP right before the 40-series makes them all obsolete.
Most indications I've seen point towards the next-gen from both AMD and Nvidia to come with quite substantial price increases - neither company has ever done a 2X gen-on-gen bump before. The most generous previous performance-per-dollar improvements in the past were in the neighborhood of 40%. So the 2X performance increase may get split between 40% "for free" and 40% price bump.

At such a price premium, current-gen will still have a solid place with people who either cannot afford or refuse to spend $500+ for a GPU.

Reactions: bigdragon
I don't think Nvidia will charge $1500 for a 4080. I have my doubts they will even sell a 4080. I wouldn't be surprised if they change their naming scheme altogether to try and muddle up any direct comparisons to previous generations because of how screwy the market has been the last year and a half. Any announced "MSRP" for the 3090Ti could give us some insight where pricing is heading.
And I generally ignore halo cards and how much they cost because they're halo cards and it's generally understood those cards are meant for people who can wipe their butts with $100 bills.