News GPU Prices Won't Increase From Tariffs - at Least Not for Another Nine Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Just wait when they also add those tariffs eventually!
The GPU will not be as "cheap" as they are now in the future, at least not in the USA. In the rest of the world they may actually come down... hopefully... in few years in anyway... maybe... at least a little bit, or increase at less speed!

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
GPU Prices Won't Increase From Tariffs however they are likely to go up anyway for some reason.
Also depends a bit on the expectations though. I.e. I recently found my MSI NX6800GS-TD256E (GPU), which I used in the past, and that should still be plenty good e.g. to look at NFT pics with.

And I would sell that for less than what a 4090 costs, even if some may say that I could possibly get more for it, as it is by now likely more rare than a 4090 (and therefore in collectors' terms of more value).

So, if one's personal expectation of a computer is to look at NFT pics and to use a micro-blogging website, this GPU could be a great fit at a reasonable price, tariffs or not.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
25% seems too steep. And if that's really what's needed to price-in the costs of any unfair trade practices, then it should be phased in for the market to adapt (i.e. to give manufacturers time to relocate, before facing the full effect of it).

I'm somewhat ambivalent on tariffs, overall. In some cases, they're a necessary measure, but the problem is that eventually the costs will be passed on to the customer. When they are used, they really need to be phased in, over time. That minimizes collateral damage while still addressing structural market imbalances.

With all that aside, I'm glad to hear these exemptions have been extended, as they would have only served to further fuel inflation. Once inflation is firmly under control, we can take another look at tariffs.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The GPU will not be as "cheap" as they are now in the future, at least not in the USA. In the rest of the world they may actually come down... hopefully... in few years in anyway...
And why do you say that? Is that based on expectations of a weaker USD? Exchange rates, shipping costs, and tariffs are the main factors influencing pricing. In big markets, at least. So, you're presumably making a projection about exchange rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.