Gpu problem or?

SirDuncan21

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014
My computer wont boot past mobo splash screen 90% of the time when plugged into my gpu where if its plugged into my integrated graphics it works just fine. Ive made sure to disable the integrated graphics and set in bios to use pci-e slot still no dice. I have a gtx 1070 running on a 550w seasonic 80 gold rated semi modular. When I get it to the desktop after messing with it long enough it runs amazing like it has for the past 5 months even when I have the gpu under stress from cranked graphics. I dont know if its my gpu or maybe the pci-e slot? Im stumped I feel like ive tried everything.
My system is a 5-6 year old msi mobo with fx 6350 with a few year old WD Blue 500gb HD.

SirDuncan21

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Can I update the bios and it will work or do you think it might not be compatible with it? I'll look up what model it is

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
That MB should handle a 1000 series GPU. You might need to update the BIOS, but it will would. And while the 1000 series wants a UEFI Bios, it will run on legacy, albiet not as well. There are plenty of example of it out there working. I don't believe you have a compatibility issue, but you may need to update your BIOS anyway.

As as aside, I had that same MB with a GTX 1060 in it, worked fine.

SirDuncan21

Reputable
Sep 3, 2014

Yeah its been running fine since I get the new gpu 4 months ago just started having issues. But I havent updated bios once since installing the mobo so I will try that out. Thanks

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

If you have another GPU laying around, then sure. If it does it, then it could be a physical problem with the slot itself

Also, you said it was running fine for four months? Did you just do a driver update? You might try tolling back to a previous driver. Or use DDU to completely uninstall your drivers and reinstall them. Could be a driver issue I suppose. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015

It can. Typically thought a GPU or a slot either works or doesn't work. But if there is some kind of issue, it can be intermittent. You might try taking out and reseating your GPU. I could possibly be that it just isn't making a proper connection and sometimes it reads and sometimes it doesn't.

TRENDING THREADS