Question GPU problem

kuRey_o31

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Hi,

I hope you can help me guys, I don't know what's the problem of my PC but out of nowhere, the display turns static (the display looks like a TV without signal) even if I'm not playing any games
It is unresponsive and the display would show the black and white static picture (not sure how to describe it but it's the picture of a TV without a signal)
I can fix it by restarting my computer and it rarely happens though, but I want to make sure that there's no problem with my computer or there won't have any problem in the future

Can you give me some list that I can try to check to see what would be the problem?

Kindly provide more details. List FULL PC specs. Which system are you using ? You haven't mentioned anything in your OP.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

kuRey_o31

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Kindly provide more details. List FULL PC specs. Which system are you using ? You haven't mentioned anything in your OP.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Sorry.

CPU: Intel i5-4460
Mobo: Gigabyte B85 hd3-A
Ram: 8Gb DDR3 1600
GPU: MSI RX 480 GamingX 8GB
PSU: Seasonic s12 620
HDD: 1TB Western Digital
Monitor: LG 24 inch 1080p resolution

It works fine until I need to reformat it. I tried to check the RAM and it appears that my RAM are working properly.
I tried to run the furmark and it crashes (the display turns black and after 1 minute, the PC hangs)
I even tried to install the old driver version 16 (before I format my pc, my AMD GPU only had the 2016 version of the driver which works perfectly)

I can still use my PC although I can't play the games that I used to play because it crashes (MHW, Skyrim, Doom4, etc)
I think the problem is with my GPU because I tried to run the furmark without the GPU and it didn't crash.
I suspect that it's either my mobo

Let me know if I need to provide more information

Can you try booting the system by using the Motherboard's onboard Graphics/iGPU ? Remove the GPU, and then check the stability of your system. I suspect PSU to be the culprit here, or the GPU itself, though I won't overlook any issues pertaining to the Motherboard/MOBO as well.

Just try booting your PC by using the mobo's integrated graphics. Do you still face the black and white static picture issue with your display ?

kuRey_o31

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
Can you try booting the system by using the Motherboard's onboard Graphics/iGPU ? Remove the GPU, and then check the stability of your system. I suspect PSU to be the culprit here, or the GPU itself, though I won't overlook any issues pertaining to the Motherboard/MOBO as well.

Just try booting your PC by using the mobo's integrated graphics. Do you still face the black and white static picture issue with your display ?
I tried removing the GPU and used the igpu, it didn't crash after i tried furmark
I hope it's not the GPU

kuRey_o31

Honorable
Jan 29, 2016
How OLD is your Video card, btw ? Since when did this issue start to occur, after how many months of use ? Have you ever played any GAME on the RX 480 GPU ? Was the card functioning properly before ?

It functions perfectly
I used it to play games since i got it on November of 2016
This issue started just this month of April after I reformat my PC and installed a new driver
I tried the old driver but it didn't work either
I just thought that it was my RAM but not after I tested it (memtest86)

It functions well in some games like the god eater 3 but not in those games like witcher 3 (games that are GPU extensive I think?)