Question GPU Problem

Jan 1, 2023
Hello, I am going to comment on my problem, I built a pc about a month ago, yesterday I received the ram that I needed to be able to use it, when I connect the power supply pins to the gpu, the equipment does not boot, it turns on but never arrives to show the screen to enter the bios, the computer enters a constant reboot loop, the gpu turns on and off constantly (the fans), I tried a 1050 and 1030 without pins and they worked without problem, I tried a 1050 with 6 pins and the same thing happens to me as the 6600, I tried the 6600 on other computers and it worked, I tried an aerocool cylon 750w source where the 6600 previously worked, but it didn't work on my pc, I already updated bios, I don't know what it could be, if it is my source, the mother or the gpu

I leave the specifications:

Motherboard: Prime asus B550M-A/CMS
Processor: Ryzen 7 5700x
Ram: Viper Patriot 16gb 3200 x2
Power: Aerocool Cylon 700w 80Bplus
GPU: RX 6600 Powercolor Fighter

Well, to start with you have, and there is no nice way to put this, a complete piece of crap for a power supply. Aerocool has only ever sold one model of PSU that was worth anything and that was the Project7. The rest are all complete garbage. So that is a very high probability solution, especially since it works ok with the two very low power draw graphics cards.

Also, it would be a really good idea to make sure the motherboard BIOS is up to date.

I assume you are installing the graphics card in the primary x16 slot closest to the CPU socket, right?

Since the problem happens with another older card, the 1050, that requires supplemental 6 pin power it makes it even more probable that it's the power supply.

Reactions: Alaan
Jan 1, 2023
Well, to start with you have, and there is no nice way to put this, a complete piece of crap for a power supply. Aerocool has only ever sold one model of PSU that was worth anything and that was the Project7. The rest are all complete garbage. So that is a very high probability solution, especially since it works ok with the two very low power draw graphics cards.

Also, it would be a really good idea to make sure the motherboard BIOS is up to date.

I assume you are installing the graphics card in the primary x16 slot closest to the CPU socket, right?

Since the problem happens with another older card, the 1050, that requires supplemental 6 pin power it makes it even more probable that it's the power supply.

Hi, thanks for letting me know that the power supply is bad, these days I'm going to buy another one so just in case, tomorrow I'm going to take the cpu and gpu to test with other sources and the gpu on other computers, I already updated the bios and nothing, the same thing keeps happening.

What power do you recommend? I was about to buy a Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W

I attached a video of the problem:

https://youtube.com/shorts/MOgL_fiqqAY?feature=share

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023
Don't buy that Smart series unit.

What country are you in or where can you purchase a PSU from online? Or do you have to purchase through local shops?

I'm from Argentina, I have several online stores to look for, if you have a particular brand that is 600/700w, tell me and I'll look for it

Here are links to my PSU recommendations guide and also the only current PSU tier list that exists that is worth even looking at. When looking at the tier list you'll want ONLY units that are listed on the various sections of tiers A (Preferred) or B (Acceptable, for some systems). Units listed on other tiers should simply be avoided without exception.

Jan 1, 2023
Apparently the problem was not the power supply, yesterday I tried different sources on the computer, I returned a Cylon 750w and an Asus 1000w, first I tried the gpu on another computer and it worked, it gave an image without a problem, I connected the asus 1000w to my computer and the same thing happened to me again, apparently the problem is only when the pcie pins are connected to the gpu and I turn on the equipment, if I disconnect the pcie pins and the equipment boots without problem, the peripherals turn on and everything else, When I connect it, the peripherals never turn on, I tried to use a speaker and it doesn't emit any kind of sound, at this point I can only believe that the motherboard is damaged, or I have to touch something in the bios but I can't find anything about it

There's nothing in the BIOS that could have any relationship with the PCIe/PEG cables being attached or not attached. If the graphics card works with the exact same power supplies, and I DO mean "exact same" as in, the very ones you've tried in this machine, in another machine, then it can only be either the motherboard OR you are using different cables somewhere in the chain of custody. Do not use cables from one power supply with another power supply unless you've visited the site of the PSU manufacturer and have absolutely confirmed compatibility using their cable compatibility list. Using cables that didn't come with a given unit could result in anything from works, to doesn't work, to "holy crap look at all that smoke".

Obviously, talking about for semi and full modular models.

If you have only ever used ONLY the cables, all of them, every one, that came with each power supply you've tried, then it can pretty much only be the motherboard unless there is another device attached to the motherboard that uses the PCIe bus and has a problem. Well, it could also be bent pins on the CPU. It can ALWAYS be bent pins on the CPU or motherboard in just about any situation, since the CPU is connected to every bus and circuit on the motherboard in some way or another.

Reactions: Alaan
Jan 1, 2023
There's nothing in the BIOS that could have any relationship with the PCIe/PEG cables being attached or not attached. If the graphics card works with the exact same power supplies, and I DO mean "exact same" as in, the very ones you've tried in this machine, in another machine, then it can only be either the motherboard OR you are using different cables somewhere in the chain of custody. Do not use cables from one power supply with another power supply unless you've visited the site of the PSU manufacturer and have absolutely confirmed compatibility using their cable compatibility list. Using cables that didn't come with a given unit could result in anything from works, to doesn't work, to "holy crap look at all that smoke".

Obviously, talking about for semi and full modular models.

If you have only ever used ONLY the cables, all of them, every one, that came with each power supply you've tried, then it can pretty much only be the motherboard unless there is another device attached to the motherboard that uses the PCIe bus and has a problem. Well, it could also be bent pins on the CPU. It can ALWAYS be bent pins on the CPU or motherboard in just about any situation, since the CPU is connected to every bus and circuit on the motherboard in some way or another.

Yes, all the cables were used from their respective power supply and I tried each pcie that had these, and the first day that it didn't work I checked the pins to confirm that these are fine and none of them are bent as I say, it still seems strange to me, but hey I'm going to contact the guarantee and see if they make the change for me, thank you very much for the help, if the change is made and everything works, I update the post so that it may help someone in the future

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png

Jan 1, 2023
I updated the motherboard it was under warranty and there was no problem, I tried with another processor, another ram and a 3060 and it worked without problem, I bought a seasonic gm-750 source and the problem remains the same, so at this point I will try and try again Everything, I'll see if I can find another ryzen processor to try and if the problem persists I'll send the board under warranty (which I doubt it's because it was on three other different computers).