GPU problems NEED HELP!

Byggmike

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi. I'm sort of new here so I'll be quick about it. Originally my computer would only play league of legends without crashing. If I tried to play a game from steam, I would get maybe 5 to 10 minutes of gameplay (if that) before it would crash. After messing with the clock settings a little bit, maybe 5mhz less and a little less or more voltage, it now artifacts and then does the same thing as it did before. I have a Sapphire Dual-x R9 280x. https://vid.me/sdK8 I finally got a video of what happens, You'll notice the crash but the audio keeps going but I cant do anything. I can only ALT CTRL DEL out and sign out of my account and then sign back in to reset it. If i alt tab it wont let me see my mouse past the start bar. Any help would be appreciated. Even if its just letting me know that I need a new gpu

Byggmike

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

The temperature stays around 50c and the power supply is 1000w

Those are memory problems, if you have the card overclocked, reset it to the factory defaults and retest, if the card is running stock, or you get the same artefacts after resetting it to stock speeds, it's dying and you should contact your reseller/supplier/importer (as required, according to country) to begin a warranty claim.

Byggmike

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I ebayed it. So I guess this just means I need a new gpu? Also how can you tell what the stock settings are? It resets to 1080 clock 1550 memory each time but I feel like that's high

mp5mafia

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015

I don't know much about this gpu and not really interested in amd so not going to investigate but if you mean 'resetting' as in returning whatever settings you had set in afterburner back to stock and you still get much higher clocks then stock specs from manufacture you might as well own gpu with edited bios.
It would make sense seince you got it of ebay.
Just an idea

Byggmike

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I've never done any afterburner stuff. Never needed to. I'm guessing I should just shop around. I found mine for almost 100 less than what I paid a year ago but I don't think a gpu should go bad in 1 year

Byggmike

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll take this as a learning experience and not get stuff from eBay lol. This was my first computer I've built so I sort of expected something to go bad. I think I'll just buy another one or look for a better one at a good price.

Edited: before I do that though, I just learned it came from the supplier at a full stable overclocked that might have worn it out a bit. I found the factory settings (which were hundreds lower) so maybe that'll fix it. Here's hoping!

Those are wildly overclocked settings.
If you have any tuning software installed (MSI Afterburner) uninstall it and delete the saved data when prompted, this should return the card to its true factory settings.
Otherwise open the Catalyst Control Centre then click on the 'performance' tab then overdrive. You may get a warning, just click through to open the overdrive panel. There, check the little 'enable graphics overdrive' box to activate the options, then scroll down to the bottom and select the 'defaults' box, don't forget the click the 'apply' button!

mp5mafia

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
Is 1080 core and 1550 vram clocks at load ? I assume are but please confirm.
From what I see your card has 60MHz higher core clock and 200MHz higher vram clocks comparing to what manufacture says.
All these artifacts does not mean you need new card.
Like I said earlier since you got your card of ebay maybe some dude tried overclocking via bios typed in to high clocks , after seeing all these artifacts panicd and decided to get rid of it lol
Try whatever overclocking software you have on your rig and drop core by -60 MHz and vram by -200MHz .
Test.
If this does the trick it will mean your bios was edited and all you need to do is re-flash bios which is very easy

Byggmike

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

well the default settings are 1080mhz clock 1550 memory and 1143 vddc (trixx). I believe the xfx (which I just found out is my card) comes overclocked but I found the pure factory settings and set them back Except for voltage which idk what that would be. It worked for the longest time but still crashed so that means I'm getting closer to a stable limit. Idk if more or less power is needed tho

TRENDING THREADS