[SOLVED] GPU provides no video signal when nvidia drivers are installing. PSU or GPU issue?

Mar 18, 2020
I recently built my first system about 4 months ago and am starting to have some problems. Last week my system just went black with no warnings, I assumed a windows error so restarted the system and now a black screen shows up after my bios splash screen. During the black screen my system is still on with lights and fans spinning, just no video output. Strangely, after a system restart my keyboard and mouse (both with LEDs) will turn off after a short period of time even when still plugged into the USB ports.

I first thought it was a corrupt windows install so I did a clean install of windows. That seemed to work, but when trying to install the newest game ready nvidia driver (clean install without geforce experience), the screen went black in the middle of the install. In safe mode, my system works completely normally with no artifacting or ghosting or any video errors.

After I noticed this I used DDU to uninstall the drivers and restarted. The system booted normally with no problems. I tried to install an older version of the GPU driver thinking the more recent ones had issues, but the black screen still happened during the install.

At this point I started to do some research. I found some forum posts saying that the 12V rail on my PSU could be dead or undervolting my gpu. Is this what's happening?

My system boots and operates completely normally as long as the graphics drivers aren't installed. The power cables are plugged in correctly (my card has LEDs to show when they're plugged in) and trying the card in a different PCIe slot changes nothing.

I was wondering if I have a dead GPU or dead PSU as a dead PSU is much easier to replace for me. Thanks to anyone who can help.

SYSTEM SPECS
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X at stock
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax Black
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2x8 GB) 3600 MHz
Storage: 512 GB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro NVME & 1 TB WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM HDD
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix OC RTX 2070
PSU: EVGA 650GQ (semi modular)
5 120mm Case fans

Solution
FINAL UPDATE

I RMA'd my GPU and now everything is fine. The form ASUS sent back with the new card said there was some sort of boot error that prevented the card from drawing the necessary power or something like that. With the new card the system is functioning great.

Thanks for everyone who messaged me and for all the other forums which had great troubleshooting tips.
Mar 17, 2020
Hey sorry to hear you are having this issue. I have the same issue and was wondering if you've figured out a solution. I'll also let you know if I ever find a solution to my issue.

Mar 18, 2020
Hey sorry to hear you are having this issue. I have the same issue and was wondering if you've figured out a solution. I'll also let you know if I ever find a solution to my issue.
I haven't found one yet. I bought a PSU tester off Amazon and it showed that there was nothing wrong with the PSU so that's out of the question. I did a Windows memory test which showed no problems. Doing scans of my boot drive come back clean, so I have no idea. Even after trying the version of the driver my aftermarket GPU vendor (Asus) recommends, the issue still persists. I sent my GPU in for RMA so I'll get back to you when I get it back/a new card. If the problem still happens with a new/fixed GPU I have no idea it must be a CPU or motherboard issue. Hope you find something to fix this, it's really annoying.

Mar 18, 2020
FINAL UPDATE

I RMA'd my GPU and now everything is fine. The form ASUS sent back with the new card said there was some sort of boot error that prevented the card from drawing the necessary power or something like that. With the new card the system is functioning great.

Thanks for everyone who messaged me and for all the other forums which had great troubleshooting tips.

Solution