[SOLVED] GPU/PSU Problems.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
I posted in another thread similar to this in cooling, but couldn't figure the solution. My pc died a week ago and after some tests, I can run an old GPU on the PC, with problems granted drivers and such. But some people said it could be an issue with the PSU somehow frying the GPU by accident and since I don't want to brick another 200$ card, can anyone help me determine if it is the card or PSU, or how to figure it out with testing? It runs fine with an older card model I have laying around, something that looks like a GTX 630 ish, and so I think it probably is a GPU issue but do not want to risk the PSU being wack somehow. Thank you for any answers. Also to note, the supposedly "Bad" GPU, it can plug into the MOBO and have the 2pin connector plugged in and the system boots, yet the GPU has a RED LED display, indicating a power issue because the cable isn't properly connected obviously. Though once fully plugged in, the system won't even light up, no fans will even spin.

SPECS:
GPU- XFX RX 580 8GB edition. (now fried) (works with the GTX 630 looking GPU okayish)
CPU- Ryzen 1600
PSU- Corsair 550w Bronze 80+ (works fine to me but could be the problem)
STORAGE- 256GB SSD, 2TB Hard Drive.
MOBO- B450 Pro
RAM- 16GB (Teamgroup?)
FAN(S)- Thermaltake Riing red LED 2x 140mm intake, 1x 12mm exhaust.

Solution
You can also test a PSU via a multi meter, but would warn that you can easily damage it if you don't have a firm understanding of what you are doing.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Given the price of the Corsair unit you are having issue with, I would probably replace it with a better one anyway and certainly before putting another GPU at 'risk'. There are testers you can purchase and plug into to test the power(etc) coming in on the rails. I cannot suggest one as I have never utilized them.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
Given the price of the Corsair unit you are having issue with, I would probably replace it with a better one anyway and certainly before putting another GPU at 'risk'. There are testers you can purchase and plug into to test the power(etc) coming in on the rails. I cannot suggest one as I have never utilized them.
Thank you for the reply! I have thought of this but I can't afford a new psu to match at all right now unless I want to skip a few meals. I have a multimeter as and other things. Is there any other way to test and if not then thank you so much and I will save up.

ThemegaHG

Prominent
Mar 26, 2019
You can also test a PSU via a multi meter, but would warn that you can easily damage it if you don't have a firm understanding of what you are doing.
Thank you for putting time and effort into these posts. I just plugged the old one in and confirmed it does not work. Then Plugged the new one in and the PC spun to life. do not see any problems but old GPU overheated and crashed 10+ times because it just got really hot when gaming for a while. It could be why but not sure.

I will wait 3 days to see if the PSU is the problem and it murks the GPU, and if not I will select an answer as SOLVED.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS