[SOLVED] GPU purchased with out of the box overclocked(?), lifespan and in game issues

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
My GTX 1660 is overclocked out of the box (box cover says so) 6GB and I saw some multi coloured lines and a few artifacts in game called "Black Desert Online" so I did looked into BIOS all of the "EZ Settings" are set to "auto" and MSI afterburner indicates "0" on voltage and clock. So I take it it is normal version of the 1660? Its not SUPER just GTX 1660 from TUF Gaming, did they put misinformation on the box? Because I also own a GTX 1050 Ti on my backup computer and its BIOS (asus) also set its overlock entries to "auto" however in that one EZ Settings were set to "High performance" in BIOS screen I take it its a one click setting or somesorts so I set to energy saving to cut the possible temperature problems. I do not know what EZ means and I did not touched anything in AI tweaker I guess thats the overclock part of the BIOS on asus motherboards. Both GPU ı Mentioned here have asus motherboards

so should I do under CORE CLOCK in MSI afterburner by moving the slider to min? or memory clock? this is the first time I do such thing and I do not fry my GPU or this is not needed and everything is ok in term of lifespan? Its been 2-3 months since we got this new computer I'm asking ALL of this because I saw some weird lines in that game. This does NOT happens in any other game. I play games like The Division 2, SWTOR, Medieval 2 Total War, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Rainbow six siege and a few retro games.
gtx 1660 GPU system have these:

Windows 10 64-bit
16GB DDR4 RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six core processor
Plenty empty space in the PC case as temperatures never reaches to 60c both CPU/GPU (usually around 40c-55c) as I do play in lowest-mid settings and in 25fps.
ASUS prime B450M-K motherboard with BIOS version 1823 (10/15/2019) from Windows Update

Right now I'm redownloading the game on Steam to see those weird multi coloured lines still appears or not, also did a complete uninstall of my GPU drivers by using DDU in safe mode and then installed latest for gtx 1660 (442.50)

should I be worrying about anything? There is no any weirdness I experience other than that game.

Solution
You are right that it could just be the game and the driver not getting along. Maybe try changing some in game effects settings. For instance if it always happens when an enemy or yourself uses a spell, maybe try changing the lighting effects.

As for lifespan and OEM overclocking. Perfectly fine. All they mean is that the default BIOS loaded onto the GPU has the clocks set more than the 'reference' card. They took all the chips they received from the factory and tested them to a certain power envelope (or more likely in this case, installed the chips into cards and then tested them). If they pass certain metrics they are sold as one model over another.

GPU boost 3.0 will often exceed these pre-set limits anyway. As long as temperature...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are right that it could just be the game and the driver not getting along. Maybe try changing some in game effects settings. For instance if it always happens when an enemy or yourself uses a spell, maybe try changing the lighting effects.

As for lifespan and OEM overclocking. Perfectly fine. All they mean is that the default BIOS loaded onto the GPU has the clocks set more than the 'reference' card. They took all the chips they received from the factory and tested them to a certain power envelope (or more likely in this case, installed the chips into cards and then tested them). If they pass certain metrics they are sold as one model over another.

GPU boost 3.0 will often exceed these pre-set limits anyway. As long as temperature and power requirements aren't exceeded the card will run as fast as it can.

Yes, adding a little negative offset to the GPU might prevent it from running too fast, also the memory which could be the problem. Certainly worth a shot. As long as you are satisfied with the performance.

If you continue to experience problems. Contact ASUS, they may offer a replacement card under warranty.

Solution