[SOLVED] GPU pwr limit

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
Hi all, thanks in advance;
I've been playing games with a GTX 660 for ages now and haven't had a problem, I will be upgrading to an RTX 2070 soon hopefully. I noticed recently the GPU has been hitting PWR limit every couple of seconds in games, and I expect has been doing since I got it. MSI recommends a 450W PSU for this card and I have a VS 650, I also have everything running stock; 8350K @4GHz, 16GB DDR4-2400, SATA SSD, SATA HDD so mybe is my power supply too weak, I got a result of 412W on a calculator and will increasing the power limit to 105/120 like I did already (which improved the problem as it stopped hitting the limit) damage the motherboard, more specifically the PCI-e lane. Will I have to upgrade the PSU before going RTX? Thanks again guys

Solution
yes it isn't anything you have to worry about. just means you are using your GPU and its reaching the amount of power that it can pull, and honestly had you never enabled that option in OSD you'd have never seen it.

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018

Yes I am it comes up "power limit" and goes off when under 95% of power, is my PSU strong enough, it is by my calculation?

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018

Exactly, I'm Guessing that it wont damage it as its only at the limit not pushing it, and like you said I only saw it now in afterburner and put it in osd to see when it did it