GPU questions since im OCD

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015
So when i received my new GPU from amazon, the package was sitting outside for like a couple of hours in 42 degree weather (5.5 degrees celsius). Now i dont know if my actual GPU got to 42 degrees fahrenheit but could that coldness have potentially damaged the card?

Also, in this picture http://www.hardwareluxx.de/images/stories/galleries/reviews/2014/gtx970-roundup/evga-gtx970ftw-4-rs.jpg
You can see a lot of these thin metal looking walls, somehow one of those got bent on opposite side of my card. Should I worry about that or replace it?

Lastly, on the back of the card where you can see the circuits, it looks like there are these smudges on the back. Almost like if someone with greasy hands touched all over it, what is that?
Sorry for all the questions, my OCD just kicked in when I got this and noticed all these things.

Solution
no, the cold temps outside won't hurt your card. cold doesn't do squat to electronics. Hot and Wet are what you want to avoid. and no, there is no harm in one of the fins on the gpu cooler getting bent.

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015

alright thanks for the reassurance! I was freakin out for a bit

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015

So there is no need to replace it correct?

correct. unless your card came to you wet, i don't see any harm to cold.

saitamas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2015

Do you know what the smudge looking things are?