[SOLVED] GPU Radiator and fan optimal placement

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hello all,

I'm interested in setting up a hybrid GPU cooling solution.

If I placed the radiator on the back panel, with a push pull configuration correctly, would it look like this?

[back panel] [static pressure fan] [gpu radiator] [high airflow fan]
<--------air----------- both intake fans facing inside of case

and would the fan headers still go into the mobo or in this case the gpu?

Solution
I was thinking more along the lines of using something like the EVGA 2080ti XC hybrid, which comes with its own radiator, and then swap its radiator fan out.

Although what you've said has gotten me interested in alternatives 😀
A dedicated hybrid system like the one you're wanting will already have all the proper cooling parts in place. You wouldn't need to purchase anything separately and it'll probably function better. Imo, it's the smarter way to hybrid cool. It may also end up being cheaper than having to but the gpu, g12 kit and an aio. Doing push pull will probably have little benefit, I'd try the included fan first before adding an additional fan.

Also with the ready made hybrid the fan will already be connected to the...

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I've not seen normal PWM headers on a GPU, so likely going to need to use motherboard fan headers. Some newer boards and BIOS allow you define the fan curve based on the PCIe slot device temp (mine does).

Thanks, I'll definitely need to look into it. Just trying to get a feel for hybrid cooling GPUs before I look into buying.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I am assuming you plan to use something like the NZXT G12? Or something else?

Also do not forget that VRMs, MOSFETS and other components need to be cooled when you remove the air cooler which has thermal pads to direct heat away from these components. Standalone RAM sinks work well.

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I was thinking more along the lines of using something like the EVGA 2080ti XC hybrid, which comes with its own radiator, and then swap its radiator fan out.

A dedicated hybrid system like the one you're wanting will already have all the proper cooling parts in place. You wouldn't need to purchase anything separately and it'll probably function better. Imo, it's the smarter way to hybrid cool. It may also end up being cheaper than having to but the gpu, g12 kit and an aio. Doing push pull will probably have little benefit, I'd try the included fan first before adding an additional fan.

Also with the ready made hybrid the fan will already be connected to the gpu, so no additional wiring or bios tweaks needed.

Reactions: Juffbox
Solution

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
The main reason I'm interested in switching from a standard air cooled gpu to a hybrid card is to lessen the noise and coil whine that comes with the current card I'm using. Do you think there will be a significant noise difference?

On another note, I recently saw some curious readings on MSI afterburner:

My max GPU temp reached was 67C, yet I had also reached <temp limit 1> on the monitoring page. My temp limit is set at 83C, the default, so why would it have shown that I had reached the limit?