Question GPU Random spikes causing FPS drops during games on laptop .

Oct 19, 2020
Hello. This problem has been going on for a while and occurs in all games I've played. I'm using an ASUS A556U laptop with Intel Core i5-7200U CPU. The integrated GPU I'm using is Intel(R) Graphics HD 620 with a NVIDIA GeForce 940MX dedicated GPU. I've uploaded two pictures of two different times it happened showing the GPU-Z info as well.

pnMCGxmEp

pnq8smCQp

I'm not sure why this keeps occurring and any help would be appreciated. Let me know if I have left out crucial specs info.

Oct 19, 2020
Typically my fps hovers between 40-50fps. When it drops, it drops sharply to 1-5 fps corresponding to the sharp spike in my GPU 0 usage and shown by task manager.

Lushern1309

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
Typically my fps hovers between 40-50fps. When it drops, it drops sharply to 1-5 fps corresponding to the sharp spike in my GPU 0 usage and shown by task manager.
Ok so that sounds reasonable, do the drops happen when there is alot going on ingame, for instance big battles in skyrim or alot of units on screen battling in starcraft?, also check if you are on the high performance power plan, also change power management in nvidia control panel to prefer high performance

Oct 19, 2020
The drops happen almost randomly, certainly it can trigger during intensive situations but it also occurs when idle in game. The 2 pictures I gave were taken while idly standing in a Minecraft game (I was waiting for it to happen).

My laptop is set to best performance but Nvidia wasn't. I've turned Nvidia to prefer maximum performance and retested it and the same fps drops happens (GPU 1 goes to zero in usage while GPU 0 sharply spikes).