Question GPU randomly works and stops working?

Sep 19, 2023
So I have an issue with my GPU(at least I would think so).

When my PC is off for like a day or so and I turn it on it works fine, no issues whatsoever. I can play games normally sometimes but sometimes only for couple of minutes and it like shows me green pixels and everything stutters and freezes and then it just quits the game like stopped working and I close the game. After that it keeps going black screen every couple of seconds and returning the screen back on. Sometimes it just stops working without green pixels and shows black screen...

Specs: r5 3600x, rtx 3070 ventus 3x, 16gb ram, silverstone 700w psu(modular)

I've tried different monitors, cables.. ram... But it stays the same. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem as sometimes I can play games maxed out without issues for a full day but sometimes can't even run a video...

In msi afterburner the clocks spike up to max but I'd figure that's normal? Could it be that when it gets to certain load or temp it kinda shuts off to prevent damage? Could it be VRAM failing and the GPU is for trash?

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Sep 19, 2023
Have you overclocked the card with Afterburner? Have you monitored the gpu temps? Have you tried installing newest driver if needed?

No, never. It always ran as it came from the manufacturer, never did overclock or underclock.
What's the *exact* PSU?
Ehm, SilverStone SST-ET700-MG

1. Already did, it's as it always have been before the issues.
2. Air cleaned it, the full case in fact not only the GPU.
3. Did that, also did a reinstall with DDU...
4. Don't have another PSU. I guess ifi nothing else that's possible fixes is I'll try and buy another one.
5. Have done, got new cables still the same.
6. Have done in Heaven UNIGINE with Extreme(Max) Settings. All was fine the first time. The second time the green pixels happened and it closed after which I pressed on End Task and the GPU kept shutting and turning on every couple of seconds...
7. Will do that. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joshua89