[SOLVED] Gpu rattle when fans turning off

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
So I THINK thats what causing the sound. When my GPU hits a certain temp the fans turn off and vice versa turning off when reaching a certain temp. When the fans are turning off due to the temps going down they do this faint unconsistent rattle noice..

Any ideas? Need to worry about it?

Solution
Reverse order answer:

Would not expect the brief vibrations to be dangerous per se. Annoying or noticeable short term, likely yes.

Lifespan: probably not. (Unlike a washing machine that when unbalanced, vibrating, or resonating will bounce around and bust its' self apart....

When it comes to noise and vibration within a computer the key is to identify the source or spot of the noise. What makes the matter a bit tricky is that having the case closed is different than having the case open.

Resonance is related to rpms: if briefly experienced as fan speeds go up and down through particular rpms then no problem.

If the resonance occurs at some static rpm ( or related circumstances) and continues. Then bad things happen.

E.g...

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is resonance.

When the fan speeds go up or down the fan will vibrate accordingly. At some specific speeds (rpms) the vibration will resonate.

I.e., the vibrations start amplifying themselves.

And the resonation frequencies may vary with the surroundings: temperatures, stresses, etc..

Try tightening the GPU connections. Do not over do the tightening - just a bit at a time.

Likewise, tighten (and sometimes loosen) other nearby components to change the vibration patterns, reduce resonance, and quiet the computer.

With a faint rattle, just small changes to just one thing/screw at a time.

john.kolvall

Prominent
Jan 20, 2019
My thought is resonance.

When the fan speeds go up or down the fan will vibrate accordingly. At some specific speeds (rpms) the vibration will resonate.

I.e., the vibrations start amplifying themselves.

And the resonation frequencies may vary with the surroundings: temperatures, stresses, etc..

Try tightening the GPU connections. Do not over do the tightening - just a bit at a time.

Likewise, tighten (and sometimes loosen) other nearby components to change the vibration patterns, reduce resonance, and quiet the computer.

With a faint rattle, just small changes to just one thing/screw at a time.

Thanks for the reply!

If I don't manage to fix this, would it affect the lifespan or is it dangerous in any way? It seems to happen the moment when the fans turn ON or when they turn OFF and then it stops. It's super sudden and short. It's not constant so thats good, right?

Ralston18

Titan
Reverse order answer:

Would not expect the brief vibrations to be dangerous per se. Annoying or noticeable short term, likely yes.

Lifespan: probably not. (Unlike a washing machine that when unbalanced, vibrating, or resonating will bounce around and bust its' self apart....

When it comes to noise and vibration within a computer the key is to identify the source or spot of the noise. What makes the matter a bit tricky is that having the case closed is different than having the case open.

Resonance is related to rpms: if briefly experienced as fan speeds go up and down through particular rpms then no problem.

If the resonance occurs at some static rpm ( or related circumstances) and continues. Then bad things happen.

E.g (worst case FYI):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXTSnZgrfxM

Solution