[SOLVED] GPU reaches 100% usage, fps is lower, no throttling

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Hello!

So, I've got a 1060 6Gb from MSI. From time to time, more exactly when I get into a game la Forza Horizon 4, Assetto Corsa or others (did not test many) the GPU works fine for around.. 5 minutes? Then it reaches 100% usage (as seen on MSI Afterburner, a huge spike and it stays up) and my FPS lowers significantly. The temps are fine, it stays around 60-65 in most games. Also, from time to time (not very often) I get error 43 and I have to uninstall and reinstall drivers until my GPU finally works. I have tried newer and older drivers. Scanned my computer with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, cleaned the threats that were found but the problem is not solved yet.
The temporary fix to the 100% usage and low FPS is alt-tabbing and then getting back in the game...

Here's other info about some problems I have had weeks ago:

The GPU is new, it has been replaced under warranty.
The old GPU kept turning the monitor off and spun the coolers over 100%. I had it replaced under warranty with a new one and still had the same issues. I bought a better, bigger PSU and I have no problems so far with it. Well, only the one I've wrote in the first paragraph.

My specs are:
  • Ryzen 2600
  • 16Gb ram in dual channel (3000mhz)
  • 1060 6gb, MSI Armor
  • 750W 80+Gold PSU
  • Driver version: 430.39 (tried 431.60 and had the same issues)
  • Windows 10 Pro 1903 build 18362.267
What could it be and how can I solve it? It really is very disappointing because I can't really play properly and since the computer has been upgraded lately... makes me damn cry.

Solution
Ok, so after hours and hours of watching my computer go full usage with advanced task managers and msi afterburner on, I've found this:

There is miner hidden under Microsoft Edge folder, called updatedg.exe (and read that it can also be called sysclc.exe). It looks like it starts whenever you don't really move your mouse or use certain keys for 5 minutes or less and the fun begins there.

What I've done to solve it: I went into My Computer, Local Disk (C) and searched for updatedg in the searchbar. Found it as I said, in some MS Edge folder, deleted it and now my GPU is just fine, no more full usage. It also strained the CPU up to like 40-50%. Be careful, it closes immediatly when you move your mouse and I did not see...

99StefanRO

Honorable
Oct 25, 2016
Ok, so after hours and hours of watching my computer go full usage with advanced task managers and msi afterburner on, I've found this:

There is miner hidden under Microsoft Edge folder, called updatedg.exe (and read that it can also be called sysclc.exe). It looks like it starts whenever you don't really move your mouse or use certain keys for 5 minutes or less and the fun begins there.

What I've done to solve it: I went into My Computer, Local Disk (C) and searched for updatedg in the searchbar. Found it as I said, in some MS Edge folder, deleted it and now my GPU is just fine, no more full usage. It also strained the CPU up to like 40-50%. Be careful, it closes immediatly when you move your mouse and I did not see it in task manager ever.

Solution