[SOLVED] GPU reaches extreme heat within seconds

Mar 28, 2021
Hey!
I have a strange problem.
My GPU reaches up to 93 degrees out of nowhere, when playing games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead Redemption 2. In smaller games like Rocket League, it plays just fine with no problems at all.
Like when I start up my game it runs perfectly with high FPS, and Cooling ranges from 60 to 69 degrees.
The problem starts when I play the game for about 15 minutes, the screen starts to flicker as well as dropping down to about 8-10 fps.
Although it stops a few seconds after, I still find it quite annoying as it will happen multiple times. (PS: SOMETIMES it cools down while in the game, and other times it crashes the game and gives me a black screen.)

My Computer consists of a
1080ti Gigabyte Graphics Card
A 2600x Cpu
16 GB Ram - 3200 MHZ

I've cleaned out my computer for dust (there's still dust left though - a TINY bit), but it keeps happening.
I have no idea what to do.
I checked MSI afterburner for the Temp History, and it showed me within 3 SECONDS the temp went from 67 to 93 - stayed there for a few seconds, then dropped back to 64 degrees.

Thank you for your help, and have a good day.

Solution
Hey!
My GPU reaches up to 93 degrees out of nowhere, when playing games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Red Dead Redemption 2. In smaller games like Rocket League, it plays just fine with no problems at all.
Like when I start up my game it runs perfectly with high FPS, and Cooling ranges from 60 to 69 degrees.
The problem starts when I play the game for about 15 minutes, the screen starts to flicker as well as dropping down to about 8-10 fps.
Although it stops a few seconds after, I still find it quite annoying as it will happen multiple times. (PS: SOMETIMES it cools down while in the game, and other times it crashes the game and gives me a black screen.)

A...
Hey!

A 2600x Cpu
16 GB Ram - 3200 MHZ

I've cleaned out my computer for dust (there's still dust left though - a TINY bit), but it keeps happening.
I have no idea what to do.
I checked MSI afterburner for the Temp History, and it showed me within 3 SECONDS the temp went from 67 to 93 - stayed there for a few seconds, then dropped back to 64 degrees.

Thank you for your help, and have a good day.
Consider taking off the GPU heatsink and repasting it and inspecting the thermal pads on the VRM and memory. It's a usually a fairly straightforward process just quite a few small screws.

Solution
Mar 29, 2021
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and informational events that you can correlate with the flickers, stops, and crashes?
UPDATE!!!

I found the issue.
I went to the "Edit Power Plan", and saw it was set to "Ultimate Performance" which it shouldn't be.
I changed it back to "balanced", and it worked.

But anyway, thank you for helping anyways.