Question GPU really noisy all of a sudden?

torrex112

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Hi there.

So I've got an old 550ti, and one day it just started making a hell of a racket, like the sound of a space ship taking off. I mean the 550ti has never really been the quietest card around, but this is hectic. As soon as I press the power button to put the PC on, the fan just goes full blast, and sounds louder then when the card is under lots of stress, and this is before I've even gotten to Windows.

What could be the problem here?

Specs
CPU Intel pentium dual core E5400
Mobo gigabyte g41m
PSU 300w hunkey(I think)
RAM 3gb
Windows 7 64bit

Its an old PC Lol

Last edited:

torrex112

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Update your post to include full system specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Has the PC's case ever been opened up for cleanings and reseatings?
Updated;)

And yes I have opened it up and cleaned it multiple times(just with a feather duster)

What do you mean by reseatings?

Ralston18

Titan
Reseatings:

With the power off and system unplugged open the case and gently wiggle and push in all power and data cable plugs.

Do the same with PCIe cards, memory modules, jumpers.

What happens, over time, expansion and contraction from the system heating up and cooling down causes connections to creep loose. So connectivity may become intermittent.

You do not have to apply a lot of force.

Just apply steady pressure and rock the card or connection. You are likely to feel and even see the connection fully and firmly reseat.

Not sure about how efficient a feather duster would be.

Canned air, properly applied (read the instructions) can clean out deeper dust and debris quite quickly.