GPU recognition is unreliable

magicpastry

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I've got a bit of a problem with my build. The GPU isn't displaying most of the time, but sometimes it does. It's unreliable.

Build is:
CPU: i5 3570k
MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
Ram: some 8gb kingston model -- if it's related I can go look at what it is. Been so long that I can't remember, really.
GPU: EVGA 670 FTW+
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ (Very new, replaced while trying to figure out what the problem is. This happened before this was a thing.)
If it could be any of the other parts lmk and I'll post 'em.

Anyhow, so this problem came up a while ago. The computer would randomly cut out graphics but stay on for a bit, and eventually dropped to not displaying at all through the GPU (though it would always post and would always display through the motherboard when I tried that). I've tried everything from extensive dusting to replacing the thermal paste on the CPU in case it was the problem to replacing the PSU in case it wasn't delivering enough power. So far when I get it to display with the GPU it will sometimes cut out. The card itself is, to be honest, kind of wobbly in its seat -- and is so on both of the compatible PCIe slots I have in the motherboard (the problem persists in both).

Some insight would be handy, as the other threads I've seen point towards the PSU as the problem.

As for troubleshooting, I do not have another computer or graphics card to test my graphics card or the rest of my computer.

Solution
Which part of the card wobbles? The whole thing? You sure its not just pcb flexing?

The pcie power cables used, they're original to the PSUs they came with? Different brands/models can change pin arrangements as there is no standard so always keep to original cables that provide power. Not doing so can destroy components if not lucky. I think you did keep to original cables but just to rule it out and if you didn't know its not good to mix cables, you do now.

When vga driver fails to start means the GPU isn't responding to the driver's call which means the card itself is faulty.
make sure the mb has the newest bios. on some nvidia gpu at post if they pull more then 75v from the pci slot the mb will think there a short and not post. as your mb a few years old swap out the cmos battery if it weak it can cause no posting. on the mb look in the bios see if the pci slot for video has pci slot 3x/2x mode. if it set to 3x or auto try 2x and slower 1x see if anything changes.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
When display disappears are you able to in that instance get a picture if you swap to onboard immediately? If so, I'd assume if there was a pcie seating issue (wobble) would certainly cause system instability, restart or turn off.

Why is there a wobble? Is it screwed to the case and is pcie slot lock gizmo in place?

Have you made sure video cable is making good contact?

magicpastry

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Alright, so I've changed the CMOS, updated the BIOS, futzed with the PCIe slot modes and tried a bunch of different cables (HDMI, displayport and DVI) and no dice. Windows says in the notifications when I reboot that the "display driver failed to start", but I don't think it's something on the OS/driver side since I got these failures when I tried it with Debian before.

As for the wobble, it's screwed in as best as I can get it and the lock gizmo is indeed in place. When I wobbled it around myself, the slot itself wasn't the thing moving. I also have a pcie wireless card and that hasn't failed me yet.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which part of the card wobbles? The whole thing? You sure its not just pcb flexing?

The pcie power cables used, they're original to the PSUs they came with? Different brands/models can change pin arrangements as there is no standard so always keep to original cables that provide power. Not doing so can destroy components if not lucky. I think you did keep to original cables but just to rule it out and if you didn't know its not good to mix cables, you do now.

When vga driver fails to start means the GPU isn't responding to the driver's call which means the card itself is faulty.

Solution

magicpastry

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Whole thing wobbles, yup. May just be pcb flexing (which would suck)

The power cables are most certainly original to the PSU it came with. I fancy keeping the working parts of my computer and not blowing it up.

It's 6 years old at this point, so perhaps it is dead. It lasted a literal dog's age and I used the snot out of it so that's not an unreasonable guess. Thanks for the help, anyway! I can make do with integrated graphics until (more like if) prices come down.