[SOLVED] GPU recommendation?

ricklee64

Honorable
Jul 21, 2014
I am looking for a recommendation to upgrade my gpu. I built this budget gaming PC about 2 or 3 years ago. The i5-4590 was recommended as a good low budget gaming CPU. I don't really want to replace the CPU and Mobo if I can avoid it. The only gaming I do is low impact, high graphic puzzle games like the Myst series, Obduction, Witness, etc, with large 3D worlds. I'd like to not spend more than $200. My current system:

Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 mobo
Intel i5-4590
MSI GTX 950 2G
Ballistix 16GB DDR3L-1600
Antec 520W psu

I'm open to upgrading the RAM, too, if necessary. I don't have VR, but it's a future possibility. I saw an article here long ago about CPU-GPU bottlenecking, so I just really want to avoid that. Thank you.

Solution
Do you guys think it will suffer from bottlenecking? That's my primary concern. Is the RAM ok?
Not really but it depends on the game. CPU heavy titles may hold back a newer GPU a little bit but even with that you should still see a big improvement in graphics. While it' a little bit more then your budget I'd really push for the 1660S as it performs really well for the price and I think you'll have a good pairing for the 4590. If for whatever reason your games are on the highest settings and your GPU usage is still fairly low (like under 70%) you can always utilize Nvidia DSR which essentially runs the game at a higher resolution then scales it back to your native resolution. Doing so better uses the GPU and can make the game...

WildCard999

Titan
Do you guys think it will suffer from bottlenecking? That's my primary concern. Is the RAM ok?
Not really but it depends on the game. CPU heavy titles may hold back a newer GPU a little bit but even with that you should still see a big improvement in graphics. While it' a little bit more then your budget I'd really push for the 1660S as it performs really well for the price and I think you'll have a good pairing for the 4590. If for whatever reason your games are on the highest settings and your GPU usage is still fairly low (like under 70%) you can always utilize Nvidia DSR which essentially runs the game at a higher resolution then scales it back to your native resolution. Doing so better uses the GPU and can make the game look less jaggy then some AA options.

Solution