[SOLVED] GPU recommendations

swagsticious

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 28, 2014
Hello there!

I'm upgrading my current rig and don't know what gpu to put in. The rig consists of:
CPU: FX-6300 --> FX-8350
RAM: 8GB G.Skill 1600Mhz --> 16GB
MOBO: Asrock Extreme3 R2.0
PSU: Thermaltake 530W Berlin edition
GPU: Asus 760 --> ???
I'm planning on buying a new rig myself and will probably 'donate' this one to my girlfriend and she will be doing some photo and video editing on it. So my question is: Which gpu would you recommend? I'd like to spend at most 100€ on it and it probably will be in used condition. I was thinking about a Rx 570/580 but I'd like to have your input on this matter :D

I hope some of you have some recomendations for me :D

Solution
Why do want to upgrade to the FX-8350, when there are better solutions other than this CPU ?..This is assuming you are NOT willing to do a complete system overhaul, because the Ryzen chips would require a new mobo/chipset, right ?? The same can be said for INTEL CPUs.

Do you really need the FX 8350 ?

Anyways, the RX 570/580 are great choice for an upgrade coming from a GTX 760....But whichever GPU you buy, just make sure the FX 8350 doesn't bottleneck it as well. On what screen RESOLUTION, do you plan to game ?

The screen resolution will also play a contributing factor, when it comes to any upgrade. Also, your current PSU model isn't the very best either...I would actually go with some other high quality decent PSU, if...
First I'd investigate resale value. The cost of upgrading the CPU and RAM vs the net cost of selling the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then buying a new Ryzen 3/i3, RAM and basic motherboard. You might end up breaking even given the ridiculously high prices those parts get sometimes.

As for the GPU. Doesn't matter too much as that AMD FX is pretty slow by todays gaming standards. Radeon Rx 580/480 or GeForce GTX 970/1060 would all be fine and around the same performance envelope. Get whichever is the fastest option available for your budget. The 570 is fine too but a step down.

I'm not finding your model PSU. I could not say if it has all the connectors. If it can handle the GTX 760 it'll probably handle the other GPU fine.

swagsticious

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 28, 2014
First I'd investigate resale value. The cost of upgrading the CPU and RAM vs the net cost of selling the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then buying a new Ryzen 3/i3, RAM and basic motherboard. You might end up breaking even given the ridiculously high prices those parts get sometimes.

As for the GPU. Doesn't matter too much as that AMD FX is pretty slow by todays gaming standards. Radeon Rx 580/480 or GeForce GTX 970/1060 would all be fine and around the same performance envelope. Get whichever is the fastest option available for your budget. The 570 is fine too but a step down.

I'm not finding your model PSU. I could not say if it has all the connectors. If it can handle the GTX 760 it'll probably handle the other GPU fine.

I got the CPU and RAM for 106€ and am already looking at used RX 570 4GB and GTX 970 cards for around 80€. I don't really want to put together a new system since the buck/performance ratio should be way, way higher with the 8350 compared to a Ryzen 3 + I don't want to spend more than 200€ overall for the upgrade.

The PSU I have is: https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001783 (I know, I wrote the wrong model :p )

Why do want to upgrade to the FX-8350, when there are better solutions other than this CPU ?..This is assuming you are NOT willing to do a complete system overhaul, because the Ryzen chips would require a new mobo/chipset, right ?? The same can be said for INTEL CPUs.

Do you really need the FX 8350 ?

Anyways, the RX 570/580 are great choice for an upgrade coming from a GTX 760....But whichever GPU you buy, just make sure the FX 8350 doesn't bottleneck it as well. On what screen RESOLUTION, do you plan to game ?

The screen resolution will also play a contributing factor, when it comes to any upgrade. Also, your current PSU model isn't the very best either...I would actually go with some other high quality decent PSU, if possible....Looks like a basic 80 PLUS unit.

Last edited:
Solution

swagsticious

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 28, 2014

Do you really the FX 8350 ?

Anyways, the RX 570/580 are great choice for an upgrade coming from a GTX 760....But whichever GPU you buy, just make sure the FX 8350 doesn't it bottleneck as well. On what screen RESOLUTION, do you plan to game ?

The screen resolution will also play a contributing factor, when it comes to any upgrade. Also, your current PSU model isn't the very best either...I would actually go with some other high quality decent PSU, if possible....Looks like a basic 80 PLUS unit.

Yeah, I don't want to do a complete system overhaul. As I've mentioned I want to gift this rig to my girlfriend so she can do photo and video editing a bit easier (her current workstation is a Lenovo laptop i7????, 950m 2GB, 8GB RAM and it's reaaaally slow).
I went for the FX-8350 beacuse it is the best CPU for the AM3+ socket and I got it for 60€ retail (8 cores + some overclocking should do the trick for at least some time).
For the next 2 months I'll probably be doing some graphic designing and some 1080p gaming, nothing fancy. That's also the reason why I don't want to upgrade it too much. The PSU could be better but I don't think it'll really be needed.
Thanks for reminding me of the possible bottleneck issues, will look into that. :)