AMD Ryzen 7-3800x
DDR4 32GB 3600MHz
970 Evo NVMe m.2 - 1tb
960 Evo SSD - 1tb
Bequiet 750w PSU
Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler
Bequiet dark base 700 case
LG 34UC99-W monitor - 3440x1440 @75hz

I play the odd game, mainly sim racing or tomb raider type - a couple of times a month, max.

Spec-wise everything else was straightforward, but I can't decide on which GPU to go for.

I want to make sure I can get the best out of the monitor, and to future proof (appreciate there is no such thing) within reason.

What would you recommend?

Thanks,
Mark

Solution
I used to own an RTX 2070 Super and used it for 2560x1440 at 144Hz, and that seemed to be a perfect match. I really liked the graphics card.

Since you are aiming for a higher resolution, but at 75Hz, I would expect the 2070 Super to be an excellent choice for that setup, and based on my own experience with a 2070 Super, that would definately be my recommendation.

I know it could be an obvious choice to go for AMD's alternative in the 5700XT, but personally - the driver issues which seems to be a continous problem for AMD currently, although improved slightly, would personally make me steer clear of that option - but that is down to personal preference.

I've had plenty of AMD GPUs through the years, and I used to favour them over...

lancerzero9

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
a 2060 super with a lot of settings turned down.

a 2070 super with a few settings turned down.

a 2080 super with all the settings turned to max.

....will get you to 75hz. I have the same resolution monitor and was using a gtx1080 until recently and 75 fps was normal with AA turned off with mid graphics settings in game.

Reactions: KramH
I used to own an RTX 2070 Super and used it for 2560x1440 at 144Hz, and that seemed to be a perfect match. I really liked the graphics card.

Since you are aiming for a higher resolution, but at 75Hz, I would expect the 2070 Super to be an excellent choice for that setup, and based on my own experience with a 2070 Super, that would definately be my recommendation.

I know it could be an obvious choice to go for AMD's alternative in the 5700XT, but personally - the driver issues which seems to be a continous problem for AMD currently, although improved slightly, would personally make me steer clear of that option - but that is down to personal preference.

I've had plenty of AMD GPUs through the years, and I used to favour them over Nvidia, to keep the competition going, but my most recent couple of GPUs has been from Nvidia, and they have been much easier to live with on a daily basis, in my personal experience.

But the 5700XT would still be my second choice, though.

Reactions: KramH
Solution
May 25, 2020

I've had plenty of AMD GPUs through the years, and I used to favour them over Nvidia, to keep the competition going, but my most recent couple of GPUs has been from Nvidia, and they have been much easier to live with on a daily basis, in my personal experience.

But the 5700XT would still be my second choice, though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. What you say makes sense and sounds like the 2070 Super is definitely the right option.

I had already decided that I would go Nvidia for the GPU - they just seem to be the better option.

2070 Super ordered! (y):)