[SOLVED] GPU Repair?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey everyone,
For those that maybe haven't read my previous post, here's the basic backstory.

I had an XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DFD6). I had a power outage and when it came back on, the GPU apparently did not. The blue light on the card is lit telling me it has power, but the fans don’t spin and I have no display and the vga light is on on my AMD X470 Board, Ryzen 7 CPU, (no GPU on the CPU) :(. So I plugged in a cheap MSI GeForce GT 730 4 GB Video Card , which worked just fine. Of course there will be near NO gaming with that card. I purchased a GTX 1050 ti and that does the trick as well. Not nearly as good as my RX580 though. But those are going for around 750 right now! Crazy prices. The 1050ti was 350, still crazy. So I’m wondering if there’s anyway to actually get the one I have repaired? I wouldn’t have a clue as to why it just quit. Not even sure if maybe the PSU has just lost some juice (if that’s even possible) and it’s not the card at all. Are there reputable people out there that troubleshoot and repair video cards that won’t break the bank? Or is that just a silly question?

Thanks everyone!
Have a great day!

Solution

That link may be old but it gives you an idea. But if the card didn’t work for example, within so many days you should be able to file a claim with eBay and say your item wasn’t as described, since the seller described the card as used and working. Just make sure when you get the card to really put it through it’s places to be sure it’s working. If after a couple of days all is good then you can probably leave a good feedback.

I know what you mean about 400 for a used card. I think that was actually the most I’d ever spent on a card. Like I said mainly check the sellers description and feedback. Most sellers with a good reputation...
you would probably have to use a local repair shop.

any place that offered repair at a distance would more than likely be charging quite a bit for shipping each way plus diagnostics.
then they may just repond that there's nothing they can do.
plus you could be stuck waiting weeks for word and possibly longer to actually get the card back.

whereas a local shop should be able to tell you pretty easily if they believed there was something they could do.

but the only time having an old GPU like this serviced\repaired would really seem rational to me though would be if the manufacturer was covering it under warranty.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
It looks like you can get a gtx 1070 for about 350 on eBay. You might sell the 1050ti and sell the rx580 as parts and just see if someone will give 50 bucks or more.

Interesting. I could always Get a refund on the 1050ti at this point. Is that 1070 new? and yes I am in the US.

And the benchmark shows the 1070 as a much better card than the 1050ti, no? Wow it says it's even better than my RX 580!?!? It that's a new card I'll gladly get that one and just get a refund on the 1050.

Last edited:
Those 1070s would be used. But on eBay they do have a buyer protection program. Mainly look at the description and look at the sellers reputation and feedback. I’ve bought 5-7 used cars over the years and haven’t been burned. But even if you did, eBay lets you file a claim in so many days if the card wasn’t as described for example.

As far as a 1070, a 1070 is better than the 580. It would be roughly equivalent to the gtx 1660/1660 super.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Those 1070s would be used. But on eBay they do have a buyer protection program. Mainly look at the description and look at the sellers reputation and feedback. I’ve bought 5-7 used cars over the years and haven’t been burned. But even if you did, eBay lets you file a claim in so many days if the card wasn’t as described for example.

As far as a 1070, a 1070 is better than the 580. It would be roughly equivalent to the gtx 1660/1660 super.
Wow Thanks Ohio, I'm seriously rethinking this now! LOL. Would you bid on something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274873430649?epid=14008613398&hash=item3fffbbb279:g:9eMAAOSwoBVg7rY0

I'm not sure what Zotak is........ ?

PS... did you mean "Cars" or Cards? just checking. lol

I think I’d be ok with that. Zotac is a brand, similar to EVGA, msi, etc. They don’t have the same reputation that EVGA and some of the others have, but on the other hand, I’ve got a zotac gtx 1070 mini in my pc that I bought off eBay a couple weeks ago.

This is just like the card I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294293272471?epid=10021692042&hash=item44853ef797:g:elMAAOSwJZ1g-iBR

On the one you listed the fact they offer a 30 day return is good to.

But expect to pay 350-400 for a 1070. I think I paid just over 400 with tax and shipping. But if you can return the 1050ti and could sell the rx 580 as parts you may get a better card than you had and take most of the hit off the cost.

Just do remember when you’re buying used, you are buying used of course. When I’ve bought used sometimes they don’t come with the box or may need dusted a little. But the 1070 I bought actually came in the original packaging with manual etc. Just be careful to read descriptions and ask questions to the seller and check their feedback. If you see they have negative feedback, try to see what was said so you get an idea if you are comfortable buying.

Last edited:
A little more money, but it’s brand new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154451452622?hash=item23f60622ce:g:65YAAOSwRKFgnXVo&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=1000

I saw another 1660 for 350 used. That should be about gtx 1070 performance but more power efficient and only about 2 years old as opposed to 4-5 years old.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2652339048...EAAOSwnb1gwTUX&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=1000

Check out the last one. That’s a 1660 super which is faster yet. I used to have one, bought at msrp of about 230 bucks before covid. Ended up selling for almost 500 last year sometime when I wasn’t using my pc as much. Started getting back into pc gaming, hence the reason I got the 1070.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I think I’d be ok with that. Zotac is a brand, similar to EVGA, msi, etc. They don’t have the same reputation that EVGA and some of the others have, but on the other hand, I’ve got a zotac gtx 1070 mini in my pc that I bought off eBay a couple weeks ago.

This is just like the card I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294293272471?epid=10021692042&hash=item44853ef797:g:elMAAOSwJZ1g-iBR

On the one you listed the fact they offer a 30 day return is good to.

But expect to pay 350-400 for a 1070. I think I paid just over 400 with tax and shipping. But if you can return the 1050ti and could sell the rx 580 as parts you may get a better card than you had and take most of the hit off the cost.

Just do remember when you’re buying used, you are buying used of course. When I’ve bought used sometimes they don’t come with the box or may need dusted a little. But the 1070 I bought actually came in the original packaging with manual etc. Just be careful to read descriptions and ask questions to the seller and check their feedback. If you see they have negative feedback, try to see what was said so you get an idea if you are comfortable buying.
Awesome! thanks for the advise! It all makes perfect sense. What's the difference between the 1070ti and the 1070 mini?

1070 ti is a higher end card than a 1070. The mini is just the size. The mini is very small compared to other 1070s. I just have a 1070 mini, but the ti is a better

This should give an idea.

View: https://youtu.be/RK-slAi7zY0

Also check the links for the 1660 and 1660 super. Those are only a couple of years old vs the others are probably 4-5 years old. So they might have more longevity. Though my 1070 is doing just fine and runs cool.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Check this guy out.

View: https://youtu.be/H6RULh1YPLY

Go to about 15 minutes into the video. He shows the mini vs another 1070. It gives you an idea what it is. But that guy overall seems to know his stuff. I’m a computer tech myself and sometimes he explains it well where I learn stuff.
Hey Thanks Ohio!
Very informative! I'm subscribing to him.
So in your opinion, what would you think of something like this? It does say, "Seller does not accept returns." I'm not too familiar with Ebay, I would think that meant if it didn't work, I couldn't get my money back?

That link may be old but it gives you an idea. But if the card didn’t work for example, within so many days you should be able to file a claim with eBay and say your item wasn’t as described, since the seller described the card as used and working. Just make sure when you get the card to really put it through it’s places to be sure it’s working. If after a couple of days all is good then you can probably leave a good feedback.

I know what you mean about 400 for a used card. I think that was actually the most I’d ever spent on a card. Like I said mainly check the sellers description and feedback. Most sellers with a good reputation are going to try to protect their rep because of the effort it takes to build it. So usually they will go to good lengths to make sure that their description is accurate etc.

But I think even if something goes wrong you can file a claim with eBay that says I’m not as described and the seller has a certain time frame to respond. But personally I’ve bought over the years, a Radeon 7950, rx 570, rx 580, gtx 970, gtx 1070 and maybe my 1660 super I sold on there, as all as a cheaper Radeon 5450 for my wife’s Dell computer.

So mainly just be careful and watch what seller you buy from and the descriptions, but mostly it seems like if you do those things that you’re relatively safe. I probably wouldn’t go buying cards from Craigslist or on Facebook. Those can work out, but I think you get a little more protection with eBay.

Btw, what power supply do you have? If you look in the psu section on here they have a list somewhere of recommendations on power supplies. So you may consider upgrading that while your at things so you don’t have issues with the new gpu.

Last edited:
Solution
Okay I got click happy and bit the bullet! It says I'll have it by July 30th. I'll let you know how it goes! Can't believe I'm actually spending 411.00 on a used card! haha karaaazy! I tell ya!

As far as that delivery date, you should get the card that quick if they ship fast, but the US postal service has been a mess over the last year. So don’t be too surprised if it gets delayed. That said, I sold my old gtx 970, I think it shipped from Missouri on Tuesday and got to New Mexico by Thursday. Items from California seem to take longest though.

On the card you bought, I wonder if it was mined with because they only say the condition is used. But the 1070 like that I bought had a pretty similar description and has so far been a good card. From what I’ve read, people that mine and know their stuff tend to undervolt their cards and get them to run cool.

But in that listing if I were buying I don’t see anything in the feedback etc that tells me to stay away. They seem like they’ve got good feedback as a seller with more expensive items so I imagine you’ll be fine. Let us know how it all goes. Compared to the 1050ti and even the rx 580, you should notice better frame rates and being able to turn up the details etc a bit more, and being able to run more games on high settings and still get good frame rates, especially if those games are a couple of years old.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
On the card you bought, I wonder if it was mined with because they only say the condition is used. But the 1070 like that I bought had a pretty similar description and has so far been a good card. From what I’ve read, people that mine and know their stuff tend to undervolt their cards and get them to run cool.

But in that listing if I were buying I don’t see anything in the feedback etc that tells me to stay away. They seem like they’ve got good feedback as a seller with more expensive items so I imagine you’ll be fine. Let us know how it all goes. Compared to the 1050ti and even the rx 580, you should notice better frame rates and being able to turn up the details etc a bit more, and being able to run more games on high settings and still get good frame rates, especially if those games are a couple of years old.
Awesome! Again, thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely let you know how it works out.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Hey Ohio!
I just wanted to let you know the card seems to work just fine! :)
Again thanks for all the advice. I REALLY appreciate it!

Good deal! Just look up how long eBay says you have under buyer protection and just really run the card to make sure all is well. It may not hurt to, when you are gaming a time or two, to open hwmonitor in the background and then check it later so you can see your max temps.

But that card should feel like a nice boost from the 1050ti, even from the rx580. So if you can return the 1050ti, you may even be able to sell your rx 580 as parts and perhaps recoup a portion of the money spent. But maybe the 1070 will help you get through until prices normalize. My plan is run mine either until prices normalize or I save up for a 3060/3060ti or 3070. Something from nvidia or amd in those ranges. I’m even open to an Intel card if they release one lol.

The only other thing not knowing your power supply, if you have a cheaper or low tier power supply, you may look at upgrading that in the interim to keep things running well and to prepare for the next round of upgrading.

Last edited: