GPU requirements Confusion

Feb 18, 2018
I have a GT 710 Graphics card, it isn't the best, but I will be upgrading in the near future. I was wondering, if my card, (considering that it DOES have enough Vram needed for certain games), could run a game that stated on either systemrequirementslab.com or GameDebate.com, that I couldn't play it? Or is it because i don't have good enough specs throughout the rest of my card?

Solution
Hard to say unless you tell us what game you're referring to. Often times GPUs that are just slightly below requirements will still play certain games, though usually at lowest settings and with some lag. Depends on the game though, as some games are not even very well optimized for the spec they say IS within requirements. Now and then, some games are more optimized than their requirements indicate, though it's not as common. You'll see lots of vids of what games a 730 can play on YouTube, but rarely do you see a lot of vids of games a 710 can play.

The reality though, is that low 700 series GPUs are not considered acceptable gaming hardware by most, so yeah, an upgrade would be wise. However system balance is important too. To some...
Hard to say unless you tell us what game you're referring to. Often times GPUs that are just slightly below requirements will still play certain games, though usually at lowest settings and with some lag. Depends on the game though, as some games are not even very well optimized for the spec they say IS within requirements. Now and then, some games are more optimized than their requirements indicate, though it's not as common. You'll see lots of vids of what games a 730 can play on YouTube, but rarely do you see a lot of vids of games a 710 can play.

The reality though, is that low 700 series GPUs are not considered acceptable gaming hardware by most, so yeah, an upgrade would be wise. However system balance is important too. To some degree the CPU and GPU can be unmatched in capability without drastic results, but too much imbalance can cause much of your GPU money spent to be wasted. The GPU won't perform to it's capabilities if it has to wait for the CPU to send it rendering data. Plus you also need to make sure you have a powerful enough PSU for the GPU you buy.

Here's a handy chart that shows recommended total system power for each GPU.
https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards-20

Solution