[SOLVED] GPU revving up and down, ignoring fan curves

Jimbob1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2013
I have the Gigabyte 2080 super. When I'm idling you can't hear the GPU whatsoever but as soon as its under load and hovers around 75-80 degrees the fans kick in at 100% for a few seconds, then does the exact same again 2 minutes later. I've tried installing individual software like MSI by itself so it isn't interfering with other softwares and setting custom fan curves and the problem still persists. I've tried going into the BIOS and editing the fan curve in SMART FAN 5 and that still isn't working. It's only recently came back when I upgraded to windows 11, but that could be just a coincidence

Any help would be appreciated as it's driving me mad.

Solution
Do the fan curves have any effect at all? (Ex.: are you seeing the expected RPM change when you change the baseline fan%?)

Are there any signs of the fan speed scaling with temperature in a way that resembles your fan curve?

If your fan curve isn't aggressive enough to keep temperature in check, the GPU may be triggering a fail-safe state at 100% fan speed when it is about to overheat.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and full OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Disk drives: make, model, capacity, how full?

Overall, my thought is power/PSU related problems.

InvalidError

Titan
Do the fan curves have any effect at all? (Ex.: are you seeing the expected RPM change when you change the baseline fan%?)

Are there any signs of the fan speed scaling with temperature in a way that resembles your fan curve?

If your fan curve isn't aggressive enough to keep temperature in check, the GPU may be triggering a fail-safe state at 100% fan speed when it is about to overheat.

Solution