[SOLVED] GPU RMA Replacement artifacting and "space invaders" on idle and load

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Hey there,
I recently received a new nvidia 2060 super 8gb Founders edition as a replacement from Nvidia and it worked fine for 1 day. Drivers installed properly, games worked fine and everything.

On day 2 while playing some forza, random artifacting started (it froze with artifacts and a loud buzzing sound from the headphones). I did a DDU uninstall of the GPU Drivers & reinstalled them. Games worked fine mostly. I also thought i'd try to run heaven for a stability test. It worked fine for few seconds and i got artifacts again. I did a restart and tried heaven again. It worked fine until I moved the mouse input. Artifacts came back.

I gave up because it was late night and I turned off the PC. Next day I turned it on and now I have artifacts and weird lines (pic attached) even on idle. Not just while GPU is on load.

Also another weird thing is that the GPU doesnt show artifacts if I change resolution to anything below 720p. Only resolutions above 1024 and 1080 show artifacts.

Also there is some weird sound coming from my PC when I move my mouse. It comes from the back of the PC but I cant tell from where exactly. How do I fix this?

Some possible things I think could be happening:
  • GPU is faulty yet again. Even though its RMA one.
  • Some part in the system (either motherboard or PSU) is causing the GPU damage? Could it be a motherboard short or a bad PSU
I'm trying to find out the possibility of other components damaging the replacement GPU (either motherboard or PSU). I don't want the third replacement GPU to get damaged as well. Just double checking. Is this a possibility?
'
Things I've tried:
-tried different hdmi cable
-DDU & fresh driver install (when screen flashes during driver install, it artifacts)
-Reseated GPU/RAM
-Tried another GPU which doesn't artifact
-Updated motherboard bios

setup:
Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
RTX 2060 Super FE
8GB x2 16GB Gskill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz
1TB & 250GB SSD, 2TB HDD
Corsair RM750 2019 PSU

Last edited:
Solution
Okay, never mind. I didn't see your image before.

How OLD is your power supply unit ? That's a decent quality PSU though, but it can still fail. Anyways, from the pic those "artifacts" do indicate that there is some problem with your GPU, or it is faulty, mostly because of a GPU VRAM corruption issue.

But, I'm not 100% sure whether the GPU is indeed faulty, if the problem lies elsewhere. But my bet is still on the GPU for now. Also, since you are 2 sticks of system RAM, try booting your PC by installing any 1 stick at a time. Repeat this step for both the Memory Modules.

BTW, can you check this GPU on some PC, or maybe try using some other PSU, if possible ?

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Can you post a screenshot/image of these artifacts ? From where did you purchase the Founder's Edition GPU ? The Motherboard and PSU don't seem to a culprit here though, imo.
Hi. yes i have update the post with a image of the artifacts. I bought them from Nvidia directly.

The reason I am considering motherboard/psu because I just wanna make sure that its not any other part that is killing this 2nd replacement GPU.

Just wanna make sure my replacement card I get wont get killed by a faulty motherboard/PSU.

Also when I move my mouse around, theres some weird really quite buzzing sound. I cant determine where its coming from because its really quiet. but it sounds like its coming from the back of the PC

How OLD is your power supply unit ? That's a decent quality PSU though, but it can still fail. Anyways, from the pic those "artifacts" do indicate that there is some problem with your GPU, or it is faulty, mostly because of a GPU VRAM corruption issue.

But, I'm not 100% sure whether the GPU is indeed faulty, if the problem lies elsewhere. But my bet is still on the GPU for now. Also, since you are 2 sticks of system RAM, try booting your PC by installing any 1 stick at a time. Repeat this step for both the Memory Modules.

BTW, can you check this GPU on some PC, or maybe try using some other PSU, if possible ?

Last edited:
Solution

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018

How OLD is your power supply unit ? That's a decent quality PSU though. Anyways, from the pic those "artifacts" do indicate that there is some problem with your GPU, or it is faulty, mostly because of a GPU VRAM corruption issue.

Its a new PC build. All parts are now. The PSU is a new one. The GPU was a replacement by Nvidia for an RMA case.

Ive tried on 1 stick of RAM. Switched between both modules. same issue. I cannot check this GPU on another PC, but I tried another GPU on this PC and it worked fine. But that was at a local computer shop and they only had a 720P monitor at hand. So I am not 100% sure about that.

I do not have a spare PSU at hand.

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018

One thing ive noticed is that when I unplug any usb devices from the rear IO panel, the artifact changes shapes. What does that mean?

kevindsouza113

Reputable
May 3, 2018

I tried the GPU on another PC setup it had the same issue there.
Also I tried another GPU (GTX 1080 FE) but that worked fine even after running Heaven Benchmark for 15-30 mins.

I know that the GPU is corrupt but want to make sure that another component in my PC is not damaging the GPU. Because I've gone through two GPUs and both of them have given different issues within a day or two of usage.

Nvidia is giving me a replacement but I am scared to put it in my PC if it gets corrupt again It will be hard to get a replacement the third time.

Sep 23, 2019
I have the EXACT same problem.

A newly custom built PC. My GPU is RTX 2070 (Gigabyte).

I have RMAd it 3 times and it still keeps failing. I am not sure if this is a failed GPU or a bad system. No clue where the issue lies. I ordered another GPU today (GTX 1070) just as a 2nd option because i couldnt use my computer at all.

Meanwhile if that works, i will RMA my RTX for the 4th time. These RTX cards are pain in the buttttttt and Gigabyte is the worst company everrr!:mad:

TRENDING THREADS