[SOLVED] GPU (RTX 2070 Super) Working fine but then Suddenly PC won’t even POST after Reinstall?

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019
Not too long ago I ran into some troubles revolving around games blackscreening and crashing, which eventually led me to discover that the potential culprit could be because the GPU was sagging in the pci slot. I reinstalled it making sure to securely fasten it this time, when I boot up the computer it no longer seems to even go past POST now (USB devices don’t get any power, no monitor signal can’t even access BIOS). All the fans and LEDs work fine but that’s about it

I’m confused because literally just before (the reinstall) I was able to at least boot up the computer properly, boot up windows etc. I’ve tried lots of different solutions, cleared CMOS, made sure all pins were properly connected and even tried loosing the gpu a bit to see if it would work but nope.

I then plugged back in my old 1070ti mini and that is working perfectly fine so I assume it isn’t an issue with other components? Checking the PSU voltages in the motherboard monitor gives good readings as well I think so I think thats good as well?

I feel like I’m connecting the GPU power incorrectly, but I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong compared to all the other times I’ve done it. Unfortunately I don’t have integrated graphics so can’t work with that

Specs

CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-9700KF 3.60GHZ 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1151 [w/o Integrated Graphic] (Coffee Lake)
1TB WD Blue Series SATA-III 6 GB/s SSD (Plus 16GB Intel Optane Memory SSD Acceleration 2X Faster)
1TB WD Green Series SATA-III 6 Gb/s SSD
A 2TB Hard Drive from my previous computer that I installed into this one
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Prime Z390-P ATX w/ WiFi 802.11AC RGB, USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 4 SATA3, 2 M.2 SATA/PCIe
PSU: 750 Watts - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular
GPU: EVGA GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ XC GAMING 8G GDDR6 (Turing)
RAM: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Dual Channel Memory (GSKILL Trident Z RGB)

Last edited:
Solution
If your pc wont post, try this :

Disconnect the main cable behind your pc that powers your psu, head on to your motherboard and look for a small flat battery. If found, remove it by pushing a pin beside it, let it be out for 30 seconds or so and reinstall it. Connect the psu cable back in and see if your pc posts.

Ps. the battery could sometimes be located behind the graphics card, making it quite difficult to see and make sure you dont drop the battery or else it could get stuck anywhere and might cause a bigger problem :'D
Jun 18, 2019

Disconnect the main cable behind your pc that powers your psu, head on to your motherboard and look for a small flat battery. If found, remove it by pushing a pin beside it, let it be out for 30 seconds or so and reinstall it. Connect the psu cable back in and see if your pc posts.

Ps. the battery could sometimes be located behind the graphics card, making it quite difficult to see and make sure you dont drop the battery or else it could get stuck anywhere and might cause a bigger problem :'D

Solution

SHORTCIRCUT

Reputable
Dec 24, 2019

I have tried that once to no avail :(. Will try again when I get back and see if it works this time

In the case that it doesn’t though, what would you suggest as next?

Jan 2, 2020
Had same problem with my rtx 2070...and also swapped with gtx 1070 and it worked. Look long and hard at that card. Mine had to returned to amazon got money back as EVGA waffled and told me to do same steps over and over . Did you see any artifacts during those games? If you did you have defective card. Went back to gtx 1070 and machine still works fine. Issue is heat issue.