[SOLVED] GPU Running excessively hot, RTX 2080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I recently installed a new EVGA RTX 2080 XC gaming GPU into my PC and it's been running pretty hot, typically staying around 40 - 45 at idle which I understand because the fans don't turn on at idle. Turning on any game will typically shoot the GPU to run at about 80 - 85 which is super close to the max safe temps of 88, all the fans run fine. The CPU(i7 8700k) stays at a pretty normal temp of about 50 - 55. If I take off the side panel the GPU will typically run at about 75 and not go over which tells me that this is an airflow problem. I have 1 exhaust fan, 2 intake fans and a fan on the CPU heatsink, along with the fans on the GPU. It does seem as though air doesn't reach back to the lower left corner however this is just me doing a hand test. I did buy my rig pre built and replaced the old 1070 for a 2080 and added in a new PSU, but I'm still pretty new to building PC's and replacing parts. I've also already replaced the thermal paste on the GPU so I know that isn't a problem hopefully. This is my first time posting so thanks for any help! Also if you need any other info or more pictures I'd be happy to provide them. The only thing I don't know is the model number for my case.

Pic of my rig:
View: https://imgur.com/immE3pa

Last edited:
Solution
Well at stock it was roughly the same, hitting 85 and then staying there, while now it hits around 83 and stays there, the old GPU would typically stay pretty cool. Did you see any airflow problems with my rig by chance, or anything that might be hindering airflow?

looking at the pic more closely i think its a NZXT h500 which is a good case, airflow is adequate seen 2080 ti builds with that case and they run fine.
but did you clean up dust in your intake it could also choke air, but still with a side panel off your and since you are using an after market 2080 and not a reference cooler, even though the typical EVGA black or XC dont come with really good coolers it shouldnt hit that high of temps.

it could also be your...

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
how was your temps before you manually dis-assembled the GPU and replaced the paste? for GPU thermal paste application its kind of a different story than CPU it does require a bit more than the rice grain method usually used for CPUs.
also which case do you have on that pre built, if it has a front panel you can probably remove that to increase airflow in your case with the side panel closed.

Oct 2, 2019
how was your temps before you manually dis-assembled the GPU and replaced the paste? for GPU thermal paste application its kind of a different story than CPU it does require a bit more than the rice grain method usually used for CPUs.
also which case do you have on that pre built, if it has a front panel you can probably remove that to increase airflow in your case with the side panel closed.

It was roughly the same temps around 85 max, I'll do another test today and make sure. I did use slightly more than a rice grain since I've heard it requires more than a rice grain for GPUs. Unfortunately I can't remove the front panel to the case as it's glued on, I'll look around and see if I can find the model for the case.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
It was roughly the same temps around 85 max, I'll do another test today and make sure. I did use slightly more than a rice grain since I've heard it requires more than a rice grain for GPUs. Unfortunately I can't remove the front panel to the case as it's glued on, I'll look around and see if I can find the model for the case.

its always good to keep track of how your components perform at stock if you plan to change things, be it using a different thermal paste, delidding or overclocking (theres plenty more examples) , without a baseline (be it in temps or benchmark scores) you really wouldnt know if what you did was good for the component or worse.
but if removing the sidepanel helps lower your temps then you should keep it that way for a while.

Oct 2, 2019
its always good to keep track of how your components perform at stock if you plan to change things, be it using a different thermal paste, delidding or overclocking (theres plenty more examples) , without a baseline (be it in temps or benchmark scores) you really wouldnt know if what you did was good for the component or worse.
but if removing the sidepanel helps lower your temps then you should keep it that way for a while.

Well at stock it was roughly the same, hitting 85 and then staying there, while now it hits around 83 and stays there, the old GPU would typically stay pretty cool. Did you see any airflow problems with my rig by chance, or anything that might be hindering airflow?

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016

looking at the pic more closely i think its a NZXT h500 which is a good case, airflow is adequate seen 2080 ti builds with that case and they run fine.
but did you clean up dust in your intake it could also choke air, but still with a side panel off your and since you are using an after market 2080 and not a reference cooler, even though the typical EVGA black or XC dont come with really good coolers it shouldnt hit that high of temps.

it could also be your ambient room temperature.
if you have a warm/hot room around 29-35+c that could be the reason you are reaching that high.

i have a pretty cold room when i use my pc, somewhere around 15-18c depending on the day (i set my thermostat at around 16c) my idle temps usualy hover around 27-40c and while in game somewhere around 50-60c.

Solution
Oct 2, 2019

it could also be your ambient room temperature.
if you have a warm/hot room around 29-35+c that could be the reason you are reaching that high.

i have a pretty cold room when i use my pc, somewhere around 15-18c depending on the day (i set my thermostat at around 16c) my idle temps usualy hover around 27-40c and while in game somewhere around 50-60c.

Thanks for the answer and for looking at everything. I'll check and clean the intakes and see if that helps. My rooms around 20 - 22c. I'll definitely do some more digging and make sure that theres nothing else hindering cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.