GPU Running Hot At Idle All Of A Sudden??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hi there, so I've recently noticed that my ASUS Strix GTX 1080 all of a sudden is running at 53 to 56 degrees Celsius at idle when I remember it running at like 38-45 max. This is also causing my gpu to have constant fan spikes so even at idle they turn on and off every second or so. Now I did just move, however I know for a fact that in the summer time in my old room it'd get a lot hotter then the winter time (right now) in my new house. So I was curious if maybe the gpu itself got damaged during the moving process? It doesn't get hot at all during a load. Thanks

Solution
If the malware that I suspected is on your system, the driver re-install will be a temporary solution until you restart your PC. Disabling and then re-enabling the drivers on the Device Manager also is a temporary solution.

I recommend MalwareBytes for scanning malware, because it finds them pretty easily, especially the notorious mining malware.

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
Check your GPU status using Afterburner or a similar software. Please let us know what the GPU usages are when idle. If the usage spikes every now and then, then you may have a problem similar to me, which I managed to solve.

As you already know, there's this malware going around the takes your PC's resources to forcefully do crypto mining, without you knowing.

Luke2468

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015

I actually just decided to remove my GPU drivers completely then do a fresh install, back to a solid 40 degrees idle but I will do a full scan later for viruses

ravenjedmanicdao

Respectable
Sep 19, 2016
If the malware that I suspected is on your system, the driver re-install will be a temporary solution until you restart your PC. Disabling and then re-enabling the drivers on the Device Manager also is a temporary solution.

I recommend MalwareBytes for scanning malware, because it finds them pretty easily, especially the notorious mining malware.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS