[SOLVED] GPU running hot?

emieleke

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
hey all.

I built my PC today and i have the feeling that my GPU is running quite hot. GPU is also second hand but claimed to only be used for facebook games and such. card seems to be in good condition and doesnt smell burned or anything.
already checked if it was overclocked via the EVGA precision X1 software.
I am however using the hard drives and ssd of my old system. I have already updated the nvidia drivers.

Idle at: 60 - 65 degrees celcius
While gaming at: 80 - 85 degrees celcius usually sticks around at 85 and while joining a match 90 - 95 and then goes absolute aircraft mode.

CPU: intel core i7 9700KF running at a comfortable 60 - 65 degrees while in a match
GPU: EVGA gtx 1070 8GB
Case: Sharkoon tk4

Thanks!

Solution
Crap feared this already… il see if i can change some stuff. Gonna do a full wipe of all my hard drives and ssd’s and reinstall all drivers to see if it makes a difference. Im seeing alot of mixed opinions on it tho alot of people say its fine if it runs at a steady 85 degrees celcius

I dont think it has anything to do with SSD or HDD just make sure you have proper ventilation.
As for the temps ideal temps for 1070 are 70 to 80 degrees in gaming
Anything above them is overheating.
Many say that 85 temps are normal but if you want to keep your card for long try not to game on 80+ degrees for long.
Just my advice.
If you still aren't satisfied with your temps you can place thermal pads on your GPU but it will void your warranty...

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Yeah anything above 80 degrees on a 1070 is not normal
Open your case and make sure that you have 3 intake and 3 outward fans for better ventilation.

If you hit 90 degree again close the game right away as it can shorten your GPU life real quick.

emieleke

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
Yeah anything above 80 degrees on a 1070 is not normal
Open your case and make sure that you have 3 intake and 3 outward fans for better ventilation.

If you hit 90 degree again close the game right away as it can shorten your GPU life real quick.
Crap feared this already… il see if i can change some stuff. Gonna do a full wipe of all my hard drives and ssd’s and reinstall all drivers to see if it makes a difference. Im seeing alot of mixed opinions on it tho alot of people say its fine if it runs at a steady 85 degrees celcius

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018

I dont think it has anything to do with SSD or HDD just make sure you have proper ventilation.
Many say that 85 temps are normal but if you want to keep your card for long try not to game on 80+ degrees for long.
Just my advice.
If you still aren't satisfied with your temps you can place thermal pads on your GPU but it will void your warranty
Or you can get a cooler for your cards like this one
https://www.memoryc.com/22953-evga-geforce-gtx-1070-80-radiator-hybrid-water-cooler-fan-black.html

Reactions: emieleke
Solution

emieleke

Reputable
Sep 19, 2017
Just my advice.
If you still aren't satisfied with your temps you can place thermal pads on your GPU but it will void your warranty
Or you can get a cooler for your cards like this one
https://www.memoryc.com/22953-evga-geforce-gtx-1070-80-radiator-hybrid-water-cooler-fan-black.html
I have fixed the problem! The last owners of the card most probably cleaned the card by dissasembling it and putting it back together without removing and reapplying the old thermal paste. I fixed this today. Now its running 35-40 degrees idle without the fans running and 50-60 in game on full settings in insurgency sandstorm with the fans running at abt 40%. In stead of running 100% and hitting 90 degrees.